Question about Self employed

hitechguy

Registered Users (C)
This is regarding the employment question on the N-400 form.

I am the currently the only employee of a company that I incorporated.

My question is should I put down the company name as the employer OR should I mention that I am self employed ?

Correct me if I am wrong - but my impression was that if you are self employed you are running a business as a properietor using your SSN as the tax id. Since I have an incorporated company with its own Tax EIN - my company is my employer and I should use the Employer option. Is this correct

Also, if were to select the Employer option - would I be required to bring either proof of employment, eg. a Letter from my Employer to the interview ? This would be difficult since I am the only employee.
On the other hand, if I say I am self employed, would I be required to mention my company name and bring my tax returns to prove this at the interview ?

Would appreciate any answers - especially from others who may have been in the same situation.

Thanks

I wrote it as Company Name and Called it the Employer. As per my understanding either way is OK

Anyone else went thru the same?

Since I have an incorporated company with its own Tax EIN - my company is my employer and I should use the Employer option. Is this correct
Your business is identified by its Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Also, if were to select the Employer option - would I be required to bring either proof of employment, eg. a Letter from my Employer to the interview ? This would be difficult since I am the only employee.
On the contrary, your business identified by its EIN and through one of its officers (you :) ) could write a Letter of Employment stating that you are employed by this business. So much for Letter of Employment.

You may additionally provide the paperwork (business registration or business license from the State where your business is incorporated) showing that you have authority to write in the name of the business. This would be the evidence that qualifies you as an officer from your one-person business to write a Letter of Employment.

Finally, you can bring to the interview paystubs from your business or business cards if you have some.

Please note: This is not legal advice.

Right, and you probably pay yourself and deduct taxes from your pay. The filings you make to the government (for the deductions) would be nice as well.