Question about RTD y NP

Daniela Coronad

Registered Users (C)
Yesterday I received some advices. I stoped my process for renew my passport because I don't need. My question is: May I to inform to the USCIS or put in the I-131 form that I tried to renew my national passport even if didn't renew? Can the embassy of my country knows that I am asylee even if I didn't tell them nothing about my status? Can the USCIS knows that I tried to renew my NP but I didn't renew? Any consequences for that? because since yesterday I canno stop thinking about. Please help!!!!!

I had the same question for my lawyer. He told me that the US embassy in my country won't know my status until I got my GC. I really don't know if it's true or not. What I know is that my parents had an interview for visa with the US embassy, and they weren't aware of my status here(according to my parents). They didn't know I received my GC thru asylum.
I respect people's opinion on ths forum, but sometimes is better to ask a lawyer to clarify your questions. You cannot do things just because somebody told you so. We might have certain knowledge about certain things, but I don't think anybody on this forum in a lawyer. Please don't take it as an offense. Good luck!

My two cents:

Daniela Coronad said:
May I to inform to the USCIS or put in the I-131 form that I tried to renew my national passport even if didn't renew?
Absolutely no need for that. The question is "did you renew your passport?" and you did not.

Can the embassy of my country knows that I am asylee even if I didn't tell them nothing about my status?
From what you described, at this stage there is no way for your COP's embassy to know you are an asylee.

Can the USCIS knows that I tried to renew my NP but I didn't renew?
No. It is a transaction that did not get completed. Even if it was completed, the way they would find out is when you inform them at the time they ask about it.

You have not renewed your passport. You attempted but did not go through with it. You have absolutely NO reason to worry about for something you did not even do.

Last edited by a moderator:
NP or RTD after GC?

I already received my GC (AS6 and AS7 for my wife). Our old NP's are still valid. We want to travel (EU countries excluding COP). Is it a "MUST" to get a RTD or may we travel on our NP and return to the US with no problem using our GC.
Will this be an issue when getting to our cirizenship?

I am not sure if the RTD is an option for people that can't get a NP (or shouldn't beause of their asylum) and want travel, or is it compulsory for all AS6 and AS7 to travel on a RTD.

Thanks for help and if you know of any link that adesses thie issue, I will gladly visit it.