Question about PR visa procedure

sk-1

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

I received letter stating that I need to mail in passports within 30 days for obtaining Canadian Immigration visas. I had the following questions:

1) How long does it take for them to return the passports once I mail it to Buffalo? As I travel to Mexico a lot, I need access to my passport.

2) Someone had mentioned to me that the immigrant visa is "physcially inserted" into the passport. What does this mean? I had though that it would be a visa stamp. Can someone who has gone thru this procedure shed light on this?

3) Lastly, can I still travel to Canada on a valid visitor visa, after the immigration visa is inserted or stamped? Again, as I travel to Canada too on a regular basis, I do not want to land till I am ready to do so.

Thanks in advance.

1) How long does it take for them to return the passports once I mail it to Buffalo? As I travel to Mexico a lot, I need access to my passport.

----Within 15 days they will be sending back with your PP. Postal times are not included in this (Send thru express mail. so total max 17 days..

3) Lastly, can I still travel to Canada on a valid visitor visa, after the immigration visa is inserted or stamped? Again, as I travel to Canada too on a regular basis, I do not want to land till I am ready to do so.

----I don't think you can travel with visitor visa..but i am not sure.. PR visa will have a expiry date (usually 1 yr from the date of your medical, say you did medical 1/1/6 then they will give your till 1/1/2007. ) you hace to land before that.

2) Someone had mentioned to me that the immigrant visa is "physcially inserted" into the passport. What does this mean? I had though that it would be a visa stamp. Can someone who has gone thru this procedure shed light on this?

----- When immigrant visa is issued, a visa stamp is put in the passport (the visa stamp is sort of a sticker with their seal or something) and they give you some separate documents (COPR) in an envelope which need to be presented at the time of landing.

Thanks, Jkvaisnavi and FAA for your responses.

I had one additional question:

1) Should I leave the white I-94 card attached to the passport when I mail them to Buffalo or remove the white card?

Thanks in advance.

You also have the option to go to Buffalo in person on a Tuesday or Thursday to get the visa stapped on the same day.

Lastly, can I still travel to Canada on a valid visitor visa, after the immigration visa is inserted or stamped? Again, as I travel to Canada too on a regular basis, I do not want to land till I am ready to do so.

If you have to go to Canada but do not want to land just tell the Canadian immigration official at the port of entry that you dont want to land - it should not be a problem.

Like the others have mentioned you have to land in Canada before the expiry of the visa. The PR visa can NOT be renewed or extended.