Question about Passport: Who applied passport recently w/o using overnight delivery?

i called the 800# today and they said my case is not shown up yet online. he told me it would take 3-5 days to show up on the system (routin and expediated service). i will see how it goes. sigh.

I checked the online status this morning and my passport application is finally there.

However, it said I requested "routine delivery" which is wrong. Therefore, I called the 800# again and the lady told me the return package would be using "express mail" and she gave me the tracking number on my pre-paid USPS express mail envelop. I think for those who applied using express mail delivery could ask for such tracking number on your return package.

ocworker, I believe your application is in the processing center but it's just hanging there for data-entry only...relax and call back next Monday or so...it would show up by then...

cookie99 said:
I checked the online status this morning and my passport application is finally there.

However, it said I requested "routine delivery" which is wrong. Therefore, I called the 800# again and the lady told me the return package would be using "express mail" and she gave me the tracking number on my pre-paid USPS express mail envelop. I think for those who applied using express mail delivery could ask for such tracking number on your return package.

ocworker, I believe your application is in the processing center but it's just hanging there for data-entry only...relax and call back next Monday or so...it would show up by then...

i will call them again on next monday. also, i got the return package tracking number from USPS when I submitted my application form. the staff just peeled out the tracking number sticker and gave to me to keep it.

I got my passport in 5 weeks

I applied for my daughter's passport on 7/21 using reg service at a post office (the paper that USPS gave me has "routine service, within 6 weeks" marked on it). The passport issue date is 8/4, received in the mail on 8/12.

When I applied for my passport using the same service right after I got my USC, I got my passport back in 4 weeks. When I called the 1-877-4USA-PPT to check the status, they told me it will take 7 weeks. They sent it back using priority mail for Louisiana. When I sent the application, I asked the gentleman at the post office if I can get a tracking number for the mailing, he said they will send it using internal mail and there wasnt any tracking number for that.

My Passprt arrived today

OCWorker and all
Here is my time line

Oath 9/23
9/24 Passport applied at local Post Office - Normal Delivery, Normal Processing
Able to track all the time at usstate.gov web site
10/20 Passport arrived in Priority Mail in a (5inches by 2 inches) from Wilshire Blvd Facility ( with tracking sticker on it)

Total Time less than 4 weeks.
Naturalzation certifcate folded 3 times ( at least they made sure they did not fold the photograph). Other than this, everything is OK.

Me and my spouse applied together at Post Office (paid one check for Passport facility and one for post office). We got them today in seperate Priority Mail envelops. Hope this helps for any body who is waiting
Thanks and let me know of any questions.
Regards,
-Simi Dude

pinto19 said:
I applied for my daughter's passport on 7/21 using reg service at a post office (the paper that USPS gave me has "routine service, within 6 weeks" marked on it). The passport issue date is 8/4, received in the mail on 8/12.

When I applied for my passport using the same service right after I got my USC, I got my passport back in 4 weeks. When I called the 1-877-4USA-PPT to check the status, they told me it will take 7 weeks. They sent it back using priority mail for Louisiana. When I sent the application, I asked the gentleman at the post office if I can get a tracking number for the mailing, he said they will send it using internal mail and there wasnt any tracking number for that.

The message on the Passport online status website changed today to "Your passport application is in the final processing stages." Earlier it was saying something like "it is being processed". Also the date changed to "you should receive your passport on or about 10/26/2005." Earlier it was saying 11/05/2005.

So looks like they may have mailed my passport by regular mail as I requested. So total time would be 9/28 to 10/26, less than a month.

-g:)

i went to post office to get the priority mail tracking number. they checked the packge for me in post office and it shows it was deliveried on 10/18.
i called today and someone said they just got the application today, and since i paid for the expediated service, i should be getting the passport back sometime next week. i guess i would expect to get my passport by no later than friday. since she said it would take 3 days to process, and i paid for the overnight delivery, so by wed, it should be completed, mail out on thu, and receive on fri. sound like a plan. hee hee

Passport Received Today

I received my passport today.

Mailed on Friday 10/14, received today 10/25

Total processing time is 7 business days (expedited plus two way express delivery)

cookie99 said:

i got the similar msg which saying i requested the "routine delivery" too. i paid for the express mail for the return. i called them yesterday and someone said she would send a msg to the centre to check. i will call again and try to get the tracking number (even thought the USPS staff has given me the tracking number too, but i want to make sure the passport centre is going to use the express mail for return)

edit:

just called the 800#. the person said the ship method type would not display correct until the package is ready to ship. he could not get the tracking number for me. Oh well, per the status, i shall be receiving the passport back on or before next monday. I hope they would mail the package out on Wed (which it only takes 3 days to process) with express mail return, and hope to get it back by Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
yours should be on its way

I didn't request the change of wordings since the lady read the tracking number to me from her computer. I assumped as long as "their" computer is right then it's everything. However, the wordings did change after a couple of days from "rountine to express delivery". I guess when your passport has come to the final stage then the staff will automatically update the delivery option on screen.

cookie99 said:
I didn't request the change of wordings since the lady read the tracking number to me from her computer. I assumped as long as "their" computer is right then it's everything. However, the wordings did change after a couple of days from "rountine to express delivery". I guess when your passport has come to the final stage then the staff will automatically update the delivery option on screen.

the guy on the phone told me the similar thing. i just want to make sure if they ship the passport to me via priority mail, i am going to post office to get my money back on shipping :p

The good thing about USPS express mail, is that it is delivered to most locations 7 days a week / 365 days a year. So, as long as you have your tracking number you can track the package. Good luck!

fitness99 said:
The good thing about USPS express mail, is that it is delivered to most locations 7 days a week / 365 days a year. So, as long as you have your tracking number you can track the package. Good luck!

i did not know they delivery on Sunday too. I thought it is only Monday - Sat.

Received passport today 10/25 via priority mail with original Certificate of Naturalization in good condition without folds. Applied 9/28 regular processing regular mail.

-g:)

the online status said they finished my passport and mailed out with expediated mail. I shall receive the passport by tomorrow.