Question about P visa


Registered Users (C)
A P visa is a type of temporary employment visa of the United States, granted to alien athletes, artists, and entertainers, and their spouses and children.

P visa classifications are as follows:

P-1 applies to individual or team athletes, or members of an entertainment group (P-1B) that are internationally recognized. A maximum of 25,000 P visas are issued annually.
P-2 applies to artists or entertainers who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program.
P-3 applies to artists or entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique.
P-4 is for the spouse, or child under the age of 21, of a P-1, P-2, or P-3 alien and who is accompanying, or following to join, the alien.


Registered Users (C)
A short-term U.S. work visa known as the P visa is available to outstanding athletes, athletic teams, and entertainment companies (including circuses) with a job offer from a U.S. employer. Their essential support personnel may also be granted visas. There is no annual limit on the number of people who can receive P visas.

P visa is for certain athletes, artists and entertainers who wish to live and work temporarily in the United States. To begin the application process, the future employer must file a Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) in the United States with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security. If approved, the USCIS will mail the petitioner a Form I-797 (Notice of Action). The beneficiary may then apply for a P visa at the United States Embassy or Consulate. The P visa consists of four classifications: P-1, P-2, P-3 and P-4. The P visa classification covers aliens that are internationally recognized athletes, artists or entertainers.

The spouse and unmarried children of the P visa holder may also accompany the P visa holder to the United States during his or her duration of stay. The P-1 visa may be issued to an individual or to a team or group. The P visa allows for individuals that are part of a team or entertainment group to come to the United States and perform temporarily. Other classifications under the P visa cover individuals who perform, teach or coach in culturally unique programs.

The P-1S, P-2S and P-3S visas are designated for support staff intending to stay in the U.S. temporarily as an essential part of a competition or performance, athletic or arts and entertainment-related. If you are an entertainer or an athlete desiring to enter the U.S. and you do not qualify for an O visa, a P visa may be the best option for you. The P visa allows entertainers and athletes to come into the U.S. and stay for five years. P-1 visa can help athletes, musicians, band members and other entertainers enter the U.S. legally to work and pursue their endeavors.

The P-1 visa is usually valid for five years. Athletes, athletic teams, singers, individual musicians and entertainment groups including bands, as well as anyone who is an integral part of an entertainment group, can enter the U.S. on a P visa. Family members (spouses and children) of P-1 visa holders can accompany them to the U.S. through the P-4 visa.

Obtaining a P visa for an alien requires three steps:

1) Obtaining an advisory opinion from a labor organization (or submitting evidence that such an organization does not exist).

2) Approval by the USCIS of a P visa application supported by the advisory opinion.

3) P visa application and issuance by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate based on the approved P visa petition


Registered Users (C)
The P-1 classification applies to you if you are coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance.

Disclaimer: The information provided is of a general nature and is not intended to be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship with Law Firm.

Can anyone tell me what is P visa for?