Question about Old Passport after Naturalization Process

karankhiani

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

My wife currently posseses an Indian passport and a greencard. She is in the Naturalization process and hopes to receive her US Passport in a few months. What exactly happens to her Indian passport once this process is over. Does she surrender it to the US Government or is it considered INVALID, or can it be used as a dual passport?

Please Advise...

Hi everyone,

My wife currently posseses an Indian passport and a greencard. She is in the Naturalization process and hopes to receive her US Passport in a few months. What exactly happens to her Indian passport once this process is over. Does she surrender it to the US Government or is it considered INVALID, or can it be used as a dual passport?

Please Advise...

The US Government will not take the original country passport (USCIS only takes the greencard). However, India does not accept dual citizenship.

Hi everyone,

Please Advise...

you have to follow renunciation (aka Surrender Certificate) process with Indian consulate through TRAVISA Outsourcing. Here is the link to renunciation process/requirement.

Alternately, if you are planning on getting some sort of India Visa/PIO/OCI, you can do renunciation process as a part of your visa/PIO/OCI process.

you have to follow renunciation (aka Surrender Certificate) process with Indian consulate through TRAVISA Outsourcing. Here is the link to renunciation process/requirement.

Alternately, if you are planning on getting some sort of India Visa/PIO/OCI, you can do renunciation process as a part of your visa/PIO/OCI process.

Ok, thanks osheth, I am thinking of doing the renunciation process as a part of my visa process.