question about NIW

jmxu

Registered Users (C)
I have a question about NIW application. Here is my situation:

I will graduate at the end of this year with a PhD in biology. My research area is about the visual signal transduction for flies. After graduation, i am planning to go to another university as a postdoc. And my research area will focus in something a little bit different, although fly is still my model for research.

I just want to ask, if I try to apply for NIW and submit my I-140 this March, suppose it can be approved some time end of this year, then I submit my I485 and go to the new lab doing research on the different area, is there any trouble for me? Or should I wait until I graduate and go to the new lab and then startmy green card application?

The reason why I am so eager to start my application now is that I've been here for 5 years and can get some good references around here. If I go to a new lab, I might need at least another 1 or 2 year to prove myself before I am get some good references/publications etc. In this case, it might be too long a way to go...

Thank you for your help. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by jmxu
I have a question about NIW application. Here is my situation:

I will graduate at the end of this year with a PhD in biology. My research area is about the visual signal transduction for flies. After graduation, i am planning to go to another university as a postdoc. And my research area will focus in something a little bit different, although fly is still my model for research.

Ask yourself this: Will the health/safety/economy of the United States be adversely affected if they have to wait for you to do labor certification in the area of fly research. If the answer is no, then you will not qualify for NIW.

Brian

hi, Brian:

I think I am qualified for NIW. Although my research uses fly, it has direct and important impact on many human eye diseases. yeah, labor certificate will definitely adversely affect finding genetical cures for human eye diseases...

Well, I guess my question is, suppose I am qualified for NIW, can I work for sth a little bit diffrent while waiting for I485?

Thank you.

I think you have a shot

Hi,
I had similar situation with yours... I tried and succeeded...If you think you have a shot, you do.
Any reserach related to health issues are very attractive to INS. It all depends on how you can create the link creatively.

Man, I am always thinking that something must be wrong with US immigration policy. They allow millions of sweat-backs who cross US-Mexico border every year to become citizens, while restricting those with PhDs....If I were the INS chief, I would grant GC to ANYONE with PhD, no questions asked.

NIW

needs advanced degree; if you hold it now, you can try. Otherwise I suggest that you try after you get your PhD.

Just don't give up by reading the demoralizing words of a few hawks.

You can always prepare your best and
give it a shot. Hope is just the other name for life.

Best Regards.

-Dr. G. Zhang

hawks

Sincere advice cannot be given from hawks. Read NIW basic requirement-you need to have advanced degree for application of NIW.
If you do not know anything, that is fine, just do not post anything.