John Smith 1

Registered Users (C)
i just received my GC yesterday,

i was using RTD for the last 6 years to travel abroad,

my wuestion is,

if i travel abroad to countries other my own country using my NP ,

will i get problems when i come back to usa,

the reason i prefer to use my NP , its more convenient its valid for 5 years,

the problem with RTD is its valid only for one year, each year i have to pay 160 dollar i guess to get new one

response about national passport

As far as I know this is acceptable. There are a lot of people that still have valid passports from their country and they use it to travel to other countries. As long as you don't travel to the country from which you claimed asylum, of course.

But then of course it sometimes depends what each individual immigration officer thinks that day or if they have a good day or not. :confused:

John Smith 1 said:
i just received my GC yesterday,

i was using RTD for the last 6 years to travel abroad,

my wuestion is,

if i travel abroad to countries other my own country using my NP ,

will i get problems when i come back to usa,

the reason i prefer to use my NP , its more convenient its valid for 5 years,

the problem with RTD is its valid only for one year, each year i have to pay 160 dollar i guess to get new one

Yes you can use NP with three conditions:

1. You never renewed it.

2. You dont travel back home

3. You always have rtd with you or you won't be able to come back.

ayyubov said:
Yes you can use NP with three conditions:

1. You never renewed it.

2. You dont travel back home

3. You always have rtd with you or you won't be able to come back.

I would suggest you don't use your NP and for the time being, use a Rentry Permit(valid for 2 years) intead of RTD. That way you may have to renew it twice before you become a citizen...

wantmygcnow said:
I would suggest you don't use your NP and for the time being, use a Rentry Permit(valid for 2 years) intead of RTD. That way you may have to renew it twice before you become a citizen...

Yeah do not play with fire. Use the US travel documents which by the way will garner you more respect to most places you travel.

WHERE SAYS THAT WE SHOULD NOT RENEW OUR NATIONAL PASSPORT? Someone could give me a link, i had to do it because I used AP TO GO OUT, Did I a mistake? What will happen to me?
My lawyer told me that I could do it, if I did it in USA
THANX
I'm worried :confused:

wantmygcnow said:

I think you can use your NP.
IF you just have reentry permit without RTD or NP, you can't travel abroad. Even though you have GC, if you like to stay abroad for >6 months you better apply RP, otherwise you may have problem when you come back.
IF your I-485 is pending, you can apply AP to travel abroad, you must have your NP or RTD to travel .RTD is something like NP.
IF you just have rentry permit and GC you can't travel abroad! If you stay abroad for < 6 months you dont need to have RP.

Last edited by a moderator:
whencanigetgc said:
I think you can use your NP.
IF you just have reentry permit without password or NP, you can't travel abroad. Even though you have GC, if you like to stay abroad for >6 months you better apply RP, otherwise you may have problem when you come back.
IF your I-485 is pending, you can apply AP to travel abroad, you must have your NP or RTD to travel .RTD is something like NP.
IF you just have rentry permit and GC you can't travel abroad! If you stay abroad for < 6 months you dont need to have RP.

Please ppl stop giving advice when you have no clue what you talking about. The above response can't be more wrong....even if you try

ALANCHO44 said:
WHERE SAYS THAT WE SHOULD NOT RENEW OUR NATIONAL PASSPORT? Someone could give me a link, i had to do it because I used AP TO GO OUT, Did I a mistake? What will happen to me?
My lawyer told me that I could do it, if I did it in USA
THANX
I'm worried :confused:

I spoke to IO about this matter and he stated that it's ok to use NP but not ok to renew it. That's what I know. Then different lawyers give different advices about it. I personally used my NP twice and then switch to RTD upon expiration. Both times it was checked by IO for a visa and no questions were asked. I still had RTD though in both cases.

whencanigetgc said:
sam, you can go to ask your attorney, you will find i am right.

You are confused whencanigetgc. Rentry permit can serve ma 1) You can use it with your Green Card to renter the country, however the scrunity at the airport may be a little more since Rentry Permit was made for people who wanted to get out of country for a while(say 1 year)...If you can show the officer that you were out for temporary, it will be ok.

the IO took back my RTD and I-94 and stamped on my NP when I got stamp GC a few months ago. the IO said you could travel with your NP. I was surprised !!!