Question about N-600 Application Form

sunks

Registered Users (C)
We are planning to submit N-600 application for our 16 year old daughter after completing oath. The form N-600 looks quite simple and straight forward but one question looks to be confusing. This is about Part 3 (Additional information about child) and question 5 Information about entry into Untied States and current immigration status. Here are the questions:

1. I believe USCIS is asking for first entry into US and not the last entry. Our daughter came to US in 2000 on H4 visa and her last entry was in 2006 when she was LPR. Do I need to provide Port of Entry and Date of Entry for first entry in 2000 or last entry in 2006?
2. There are four options available for status at the time of entry. These are:
(a) An immigrant (Lawful Permanent Resident) using an immigrant visa
(b) A nonimmigrant
(c) A refuge
(d) Other (explain)
If we are giving details of first trip, what option is to picked for H4 visa. Probably Other or some thing else?

Hope to get response soon from some one who has this info or submitted N-600 recently. Thanks in advance for the help.

Why are you wasting 400+ dollars to get a certificate of citizenship that is not as useful as a US passport? You can simply get your daughter a US passport and that is all she needs to prove US citizenship. As a backup you can also get her a passport card which costs an additional 20 dollars. Also note that there is no legal requirement to obtain a certificate of citizenship.

We are planning to submit N-600 application for our 16 year old daughter after completing oath. The form N-600 looks quite simple and straight forward but one question looks to be confusing. This is about Part 3 (Additional information about child) and question 5 Information about entry into Untied States and current immigration status. Here are the questions:

1. I believe USCIS is asking for first entry into US and not the last entry. Our daughter came to US in 2000 on H4 visa and her last entry was in 2006 when she was LPR. Do I need to provide Port of Entry and Date of Entry for first entry in 2000 or last entry in 2006?
2. There are four options available for status at the time of entry. These are:
(a) An immigrant (Lawful Permanent Resident) using an immigrant visa
(b) A nonimmigrant
(c) A refuge
(d) Other (explain)
If we are giving details of first trip, what option is to picked for H4 visa. Probably Other or some thing else?

Hope to get response soon from some one who has this info or submitted N-600 recently. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would suggest that, after your oath ceremony, you first apply for a U.S. passport for your daughter, before submitting N-600.
A passport application is cheaper, it is processed faster and a U.S. passport does provide proof of U.S. citizenship.

If you still want to file N-600 after that, that's your choice. Unlike a U.S. passport, a certificate of citizenship has no expiration date and does not need to be renewed, although filing N-600 is optional in this situation.

Regarding your question. If your daughter's initial entry was on an H4 visa, you should check (b) A nonimmigrant.
Everybody entering the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa (such as B-1, H-1, F-1, H4, etc) is considered a non-immigrant at the time of admission.

Thanks nkm-oct23 & baikal3 for your replies.
We are going to apply for her PP initially but was looking to see what all is involved in getting N-600. Came up with these questions after looking at N-600 form. Not sure whether we will go for it right away or after couple of months or after PP is received.

I will be USC soon - waiting for oath letter. Cleared interview at Detroit on 11/19/2009. I have a questions if anybody has been in a similar situation - I have a daughter born in Canada recently. Can I apply for her passport once I get my US passport? She already has canadian passport.
I have a son in India - I do not have his legal custody. Can I apply for his passport too?

Re daughter. Not sure, but... Since she was born outside US while you were on GC, she does not automatically become a citizen. Did you get a GC for her? Did you list her on your N-400? There is an option for child to get GC on 1st entry to US with Mom. Did you do that? Not sure part is ... can the OP still do that while waiting for oath, since his current status is GC.

Re Son. How? The minimum requirement for minor's naturalization through parents is that the kid has to be living with you. He has to have GC.

Thanks nkm-oct23 & baikal3 for your replies.
We are going to apply for her PP initially but was looking to see what all is involved in getting N-600. Came up with these questions after looking at N-600 form. Not sure whether we will go for it right away or after couple of months or after PP is received.

The anti-certificate of citizenship crowd answered first ;) Let me give my perspective as the "pro-certificate" side. You can apply to both passport and N-600 concurrently, no need to serialize or do one before the other. The N-600 only requires you to submit photocopies of documents (e.g. the naturalization certificate). Now, there seem to be a small number of cases in which the bureaucracy can ask for a certificate of naturalization or citizenship and not be happy with "just" a passport. You might do your child a favor by obtaining a certificate, which does a few things. It is a permanent document to prove citizenship, it creates a record inside USCIS that your child is a citizen and that the citizenship has been proven and established at a particular date (the passport doesn't indicate when one became a citizen, the certificate does).

Now, to answer your original question I would put the time she entered on H4 and put the status as non-immigrant. Port of entry should be the one she came through on 2000 on the H4 visa. I think there is another question nearby in which you put when she became a permanent resident, isn't it?

The anti-certificate of citizenship crowd answered first ;) Let me give my perspective as the "pro-certificate" side. You can apply to both passport and N-600 concurrently, no need to serialize or do one before the other. The N-600 only requires you to submit photocopies of documents (e.g. the naturalization certificate). Now, there seem to be a small number of cases in which the bureaucracy can ask for a certificate of naturalization or citizenship and not be happy with "just" a passport. You might do your child a favor by obtaining a certificate, which does a few things. It is a permanent document to prove citizenship, it creates a record inside USCIS that your child is a citizen and that the citizenship has been proven and established at a particular date (the passport doesn't indicate when one became a citizen, the certificate does).

Now, to answer your original question I would put the time she entered on H4 and put the status as non-immigrant. Port of entry should be the one she came through on 2000 on the H4 visa. I think there is another question nearby in which you put when she became a permanent resident, isn't it?

Thanks Huracan for your explaination. Well there seems to be more pros in getting it. When we have paid so much fees to USCIS for our N-400, AP, EAD etc., this is probably the last fee for USCIS and is definitely not a waste (may be worth spending). We will first apply for her PP and then after a while apply for N-600.

NewB. Please open a separate thread for your question. You have hijacked this thread! It seems your questions might be better addressed in the family immigration forum. At least on another thread on this forum.