Question about my citizenship soon

kenryu

Registered Users (C)
I'm about to go to naturalization oath soon but I have couple questions:

1. Should I apply my passport on the day of my naturalization oath or apply at post office . Is there any different ? Either way I still need to give them my original citizenship right? I don't feel comfortable giving the INS my citizenship. Is there anyway to just give them the copy instead of the original one?
I heard some horror stories about the INS lost the applicant citizenship. That's why I ask.
2. How long is the normal process these days for passport and how about the expedite process? My friend told me that he applied for normal process and he got it within a week.
3. What is the process of applying passport book or passport card on naturalization oath?

Please anybody let me know. Thanks.

I'm about to go to naturalization oath soon but I have couple questions:

1. Should I apply my passport on the day of my naturalization oath or apply at post office . Is there any different ? Either way I still need to give them my original citizenship right? I don't feel comfortable giving the INS my citizenship. Is there anyway to just give them the copy instead of the original one?
I heard some horror stories about the INS lost the applicant citizenship. That's why I ask.
2. How long is the normal process these days for passport and how about the expedite process? My friend told me that he applied for normal process and he got it within a week.
3. What is the process of applying passport book or passport card on naturalization oath?

Please anybody let me know. Thanks.

Some ceremonies offer you the option to apply for a passport on the spot and some do not. If your ceremony offers this option, it will be more convenient for you because you do not need to make a special trip to the post office.

You have to give them the original naturalization certificate. They will mail it back to you later. And by the way, you do not apply to the INS for a passport. You apply with the State Department. Once you are a citizen the INS is done with you.

Depending on how big the oath ceremony is, it might still be better to go to the post office than to wait in line at the ceremony site. I've heard people here in LA waiting for more than one hour at the ceremony site while at your local post office or library there might be no waiting at all.

Thanks for the answers. But it doesn't matter how I apply for the passport, I will still need to give them the original citizenship proof/certificate right? How long is the process to get passport book ? Should I order expedite process?

Thanks for the answers. But it doesn't matter how I apply for the passport, I will still need to give them the original citizenship proof/certificate right? How long is the process to get passport book ? Should I order expedite process?

Yes you have to give them the original proof of naturalization. The State Department rarely loses this.

My suggestion, do it at the post office and also, make a color copy for yourself until you receive your original certificate back. BTW, sending a copy for US passport is not an option. Original is a must for the US state department. Also, it is important to notify Social Security Office about your new citizenship status using the same form that we all used for getting a new social security number.

I agree with spiderman03, it is better if you make some photocopies for your record before you send the certificate away for the passport. I would wait until your passport comes back and use the passport to go to the social security office to update your citizenship status. Yes, as everyone has pointed out you have to send the original certificate for the passport.