Question about inquiry from NVC about AOS info on tax returns and income

raj_i130

Hello,

I just received a notice from NVC that the income entered by me on the AOS does not match the income shown on the tax returns.

Now, my wife and I file joint tax returns. I am the sponsor and she is the household member.

So lets say that our adjusted gross income on the tax returns is $100,000 of which I have contribued $75,000 and she has contributed $25,000, what is the right way to enter the data in the AOS form? It seems like the right way is to enter $100,000 in both the household member and for the sponsor income as well as the tax transcripts donot provide a breakdown of how much each person made.

Correct?

IMO, the right way is to enter $100,000, supporting that number by your tax returns with your I-864 and your wife's I-864a.

Thanks Lucy. So essentially I will be entering the same information for both the Sponsor income as well as the Household income, correct?

It's not clear what question you are talking about.

For Part 6 # 13, you enter exactly the number on the "total income" line for the tax return for the corresponding year. It doesn't matter how you file it; single, jointly, separately, whatever. They do not ask for any "breakdown".

For Part 6 #5, you enter your current annual income, i.e. the salary of the jobs that you hold right now (not last month, not last year, right now). If you want to include your spouse's income (which shouldn't be necessary if your current annual income is $75k), you would fill in your spouse's information and current annual income in Part 6 #6. Your current annual income and your spouse's (if you choose to include it) will add together to your current household annual income in Part 6 #10.