Question about immigrant visa number for I-130

kabadkar

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

The immigration website mentions that for the application of a green card for parent, for a I-130 and I-485, that first one needs an immigrant visa number. Could someone please confirm that one has to request this prior to I-130 application (or, as part of this application)?

Approx. how long does it take one to get this number - it is perhaps dependent on the center to which one has applied, but an average would be perfect.

Is there a certain form that is to be filled to apply for this number?

Thanks very much for reading.

Ashwin Kabadkar

The timeline depends in WHO is sending the application, are you a citizen o LPR (green card holder)?, are you sponsoring to your brother o parent?

visa numbers

visa numbers for parents of US citizens are always current (i.e. always available)...

And parents,spouse and kids under 21 are considered immediate relatives.. So where is the confusion...
GeorgeF said:
not true. Only for immediate relatives of US Citizens.

Ashwin,
Since you are a US Citizen, you can file your parents I-130,I-485 immediately.

SWaiting said:
And parents,spouse and kids under 21 are considered immediate relatives.. So where is the confusion...

Ashwin,
Since you are a US Citizen, you can file your parents I-130,I-485 immediately.

You're right. I must have overlooked the "parents" word. Oh well, weekend is just around the corner. ;)

if your parents are in the country right now you can apply now and they will have status here