Question about I-130 For parents

cecilcanie

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,
I am a U S cituizen and,I filled a I-130, petition for my mother in December 2004 and the file is already in Bombay consulate, and most probably an interview will be in September, I have a question about I-864 afidavit of support, I already submitted a I-864 with NVC, Do I need to send another I-864 to my mom to carry with her at the time of intetrview or the one I send it to NVC is enough? Any body have any idea what kind of questions they ask? and how long the interview will last?

Please let me know and feel free to e-mail your experties.
Thanks in advance.
Cecil.

I don't know about Consulate process BUT, definetly is good that you send to your mother a copy of all the documents that you filed with the Immigration Services, just in case they ask about something and she will have her paperwork at handy.

Good luck,

Thanks Cherr 1980 for your reply,
I was browsing thru us consulate bombay website and it is written there that I-864 is valid only for 6 months, and I submitted I-864 to NVC in April, so In September it will be 6 months, so I guess I need to send another new (not a copy of previous one) I-864 to my mom, what do you think?
Can you please tell me something on that.
Your reply will be highly appriciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cecil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent all the Affidavits that you has sent to the USCIS, is better, the old ones and the new ones, just in case (so you have a history).

Since you will have to sent a new one, sent a copy of those too to your mother. Oh by the way, the copy of the Affidavit of Support that you sent to your mother, notarized it just in case!

With this is better to be the "just in case" person hehehe :)

Good luck,

BTW why is just valid for 6 months? do you have the link to the consulate website? just to check it out.

thanks,

cecilcanie said:
Hi Cherr 1980,
Sorry for not responding on time, link for U S Consulate bombay is

www.mumbai.usconsulate.gov
Please let me know if you find out some thing else.

Thanks for all your help.
Cecil.

This is what i found from the mumbai consulate

Validity of the I-864 and I-864A:

The I-864 and I-864a must be submitted to a consular officer within six months of the date they are signed and notarized, or new forms will be required. A form submitted within six months of signature will have an unlimited validity and will not expire. However, a consular officer may require supporting documents that are over 12 months old to be updated.

So if you submitted the docs within 6 months from the date it was notarized, it says that you are good to go and dont need another one, if you get an interview letter asking you to bring an updated affidavit, then you should get another I-864/I-864A notarized.

Hi all there,
Did any body know what kind of question bombay consulate ask during the immigration visa interview for parents?
If you went thru same interview, than can you please, post your experience here.
Thank you very much in advance.
Cecil.

I don't know about Consulate process but I think it is good idea that you send to your mother a copy of all the documents that you filed with the Immigration Services...You never know!!

I-130

I am trying to file I-130 to bring my mother over to the United States. My mother is currently in Nigeria. Please can somebody tell me the steps that I have to follow in order to get this done. I know that I have to start by filling an I-130. If they approve the I-130, does it mean that she will get her permanent Resident when she go for an interview at the embassy in Lagos, Nigeria.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfpac said:
I am trying to file I-130 to bring my mother over to the United States. My mother is currently in Nigeria. Please can somebody tell me the steps that I have to follow in order to get this done. I know that I have to start by filling an I-130. If they approve the I-130, does it mean that she will get her permanent Resident when she go for an interview at the embassy in Lagos, Nigeria.

Thanks.
After I-130 gets approved your mother would need to file for permanent residency (I-485 with all supporting documentations and other forms). Then she would be called for an interview.
Here is the link for it: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parents.htm.

Anahit said:
After I-130 gets approved your mother would need to file for permanent residency (I-485 with all supporting documentations and other forms). Then she would be called for an interview.
Here is the link for it: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parents.htm.

I-485 is not required as she is not in the USA.
Step #1: fill out I-130
Step #2: send the petition to USCIS
Step #3: wait for their response (usually takes up to 3-4 months)
Step #4: National Visa Center gets your mother's case
Step #5: NVC asks your mother to get an agent (person who is going to get the documents form NVC - your mother can get you/herself/or anyone )
Step #6: NVC send you a letter asking for a fee (twice) => you send a check/money order etc.
Step # 7: you fill out I-864 and send it to NVC
Step #8: your mother sends a DS form to NVC
Step #9: case approved by NVC (about 2-3 months) => transferred to the American Embassy in your country
Step #10: case in the US Embassy; mother needs to have her medical exam done; background check, make an appointment with the consul
FINALLY => interview (make sure mommy has all required documents including I-864 !!!! -mommy gets an immigrant visa

Good Luck

Thanks Misza

Do I need to hire a lawyer or not

My mother is in India.....and she does not speak English....
How do I proceed?

Thanks
Dan

danp said:
Thanks Misza

Do I need to hire a lawyer or not

My mother is in India.....and she does not speak English....
How do I proceed?

Thanks
Dan

You need not hire a lawyer as bombay embassy interview in hindi as well as gujarati language !!!!!!!!