Question about Green Card Interview

mihir67m

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I have filed for adjustment of status through my wife who is a US citizen. I received my EAD in Nov. and I am scheduled for an interview in Newark on Jan. 13th. My passport has expired and I am wondering is that is ok for the interview? Should I apply for a passport or wait until my interview is over? How does this affect my case?

Thanks
Mihir

You will need your vaild passport if you want them to stamp for temporary greencard stamp (if interview is successful)

Passport question

What if a person doesn’t have a valid passport anymore?
What if the old national passport was issued by the country that doesn’t exist anymore, expired long long time ago and there is no way to get a new one?

Mihir67m:

My wife is going through the AOS at Newark as well. Could you please post your timeline. Thank you.

I don't have an answer for your question, but I would suggest you get an infopass appointment and ask them yourself.

Thanks.
Kenmw

In the case your conutry of origin is no more in existense, INS may consider you a stateless person and overlook your passport question, but how would you travel after your green card??

Would this be an asylum case where UN gives the passport? I am not sure, but there is no way to travel with GC alone or on expired passport.

singhaj said:
In the case your conutry of origin is no more in existense, INS may consider you a stateless person and overlook your passport question, but how would you travel after your green card??
Would this be an asylum case where UN gives the passport? I am not sure, but there is no way to travel with GC alone or on expired passport.

Singhaj,
There is a way to travel with GC and without a country passport.
It is called a Reentry Permit. It looks like a passport and serves a purpose of the passport. INS issues such documents for GC holders. It’s valid only for two years.

My question was about stamping. If I have no document to put a stamp on, then what?
Do I really need that stamp if I’m getting GC sooner or later?

No immigration officer is going to stamp the 551 on a expired passport, to tell him that the country is no longer existent is very stupid.

Please stop posting the most ridiculous (head up your butt) questions on this website.

Senor JP356

Seems like you have good command on english, law and french at the same time. This site is for people who are not as smart as you are, so please keep you valuable comments to yourself.

The question was What if?? and there are cases where people left from one country with one passport and now the countries are not there.....But you would not know the History.

Too much fighting and some irrelevant info guys. What are these historical matters of non existing countries. These are very peculiar situations that I guess does not consern the core of the question at all. Otherwise he would have specified.
I am also interested in an answer by sb who has gone through that. What if for example my passport gets stamped in July 2005 and expires in Jan 2006??? I think in that case when they issue the new passport you have the right to keep ... ??? what before you surrender it. Since there's another important document in it with expiration date beyond the exp date of the passport??? They cant just void the stamp, or they can???

Passport stamping issues

Mihir,
Your expired passport won’t affect your case. Although – if you want to get that stamp, then you have two options:
You’ll have to make another appointment, later, through InfoPass and come to get your renewed passport stamped.
OR
Bring an extra photo to your adjustment interview and ask immigration officer to issue you a temporary stamped document.
It will look like I-94, with your picture on it and it will be valid for one year.
Many people done it before.

NBC June04,
If you could get an extension on your passport instead a completely new one, then you will still have your stamp in there. But if you get a new passport, then your stamp would be lost. Your country’s embassy has no authority to transfer your I551 stamp from one document to another.
However, if you really need it – you can make an appointment with your local immigration office and get your new passport stamped as well. Just bring copies of your old passport with your old stamp and any “congratulation” notices from immigration to your appointment to make it faster.
But – why would you want to do it? The stamp in your passport is going to be valid for one year only. The stamp is just a temporarily evidence of your permanent resident status until you get a physical green card in your hands.
You need your stamp only if you plan to travel before you get your GC and
as an evidence of legal status and work authorization, so you won’t have to file for another EAD anymore.

And for the Mr. Smarty_Pants over there,
If you think that telling INS people about being from a country that ceased to exist after that person arrived in USA in more then 10 years ago, then explain this:
How come immigration officer didn’t think it was stupid?
How come that person was granted permission to live and legally work here for the pasts 7 years and she even traveled in and out of US after overstating her tourist visa for more then 3 years and all while waiting for her GC interview and having no country passport?
I won’t burden you with the details, they don’t belong in this particular forum, but I’d like to remind you that this forum is for people who comes here for a support and advice. If you have nothing helpful to tell them, then, please, say nothing. Everybody’s time is valuable. Do not clutter this forum with your insults.

Thank you Jane Green. The point is that probably by the end of July, 2005 we should be called for interview, but my passport expires in Jan 2006. As far as I see the stamp is still valid within the USA even if passport expires.
My other question is if I can travel with the actual green card and with expired passport. It's a hard time renewing a passport from USA. It takes like 6 months and more from my consulate here. If I am home it takes 3 days. And I dont want to renew it in advance before getting the green card, cause I will have to surrender it with my visa (already expired) in it.
That's why I want to make sure if I can go back home with expired passport but wit hGreen card and I guess there's a travel document attached to it as well. It's very confusing.

for NBC_June04

NBC_ June04

I know couple of people from my home country who were in a same situation. After getting their GC they all went home and renewed their old passports for a new ones while on vacation.
You can go home with an expired passport, because even after you have your GC you will still remain your home-country citizen and there is no country out there that I know, who would refuse entry for its citizen. But before you leave your home country to go back in US you must have your passport renewed already. Otherwise passport control in your country might give you a hard time or not let you go at all.
One friend of mine was traveling back home with his American wife and with expired passport. The POE officer in his country told him that they won’t let him go back if he won’t renew his passport. Then his wife started “he’s my husband! I’m a US citizen! you cannot keep him here!” and all that…. And the officer replied – we won’t stop you, madam, we have no problems with you or your documents, but he is a citizen of our country and he should obey our rules.
So, NBC June04, make sure you have enough time and really going to have your passport renewed before you ready to come back in US and you’ll be alright.

To come back here in US all you really need to show to the POE officer is your Green Card.
You do not need any travel document attached to it, unless you planning to be away for more then one year. Just a Green Card and your passport.

It is very common that many people overstay their visas and passports expiration dates. You might want to call your home consulate and ask them about the entry with an expired passport, and you can check your embassy website. They might have this information posted.