question about getting passort in a hurry

cool2

Registered Users (C)
Hi Phillydude

Can I ask you some questions about getting passport in a hurry? I read your timeline it only took 5 days. I will have my oath ceremony at June 1st at Boston and I have to go Canada for my friend's wedding on June 16 morning (already booked ticket). I called the passport agency for make appointment they told me they won't take any appointment unless before travel 14 days. I read through the website it said ordinarily if you paid additionally for expedited service and two-way overnight delivery within about 2 weeks.
I am just worry there is not enough time for me get a passport before June 16. I would really appreciate if you and someone can share how can get passport quickly. Thank you very much …

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

cool2

cool2 said:
Hi Phillydude

Can I ask you some questions about getting passport in a hurry? I read your timeline it only took 5 days. I will have my oath ceremony at June 1st at Boston and I have to go Canada for my friend's wedding on June 16 morning (already booked ticket). I called the passport agency for make appointment they told me they won't take any appointment unless before travel 14 days. I read through the website it said ordinarily if you paid additionally for expedited service and two-way overnight delivery within about 2 weeks.
I am just worry there is not enough time for me get a passport before June 16. I would really appreciate if you and someone can share how can get passport quickly. Thank you very much …

cool2

If you do the expedited service and pay for the two-way overnight service you will receive your passport well within 2 weeks. I used the same process last year and received my passport in 5 business days. Good luck.

cool2 said:
Hi Phillydude

cool2
Look here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html
If you apply for your passport on June 2nd, your travel date would be "within 14 days". I think they put a rush on these applications. You pay the same extra fees ($60.00 - for expedite service + two-way overnight delivery fees).

My understanding is you don't need a passport to visit Canada. Your naturalization certificate will work.

Cool2: (Take it cool :) )
You can take appt with Boaston passport regional office and can go in person on anytime after June 2(So that you can fall in under 14 days travel requirement). If you go in morning than you are almost sure to get passport in same day. make sure to take appt and bring the airline ticket proof for your travel plan.

Expedited Passport

Cool2,

Don't worry you have several options:

1) You can expedite while applying at the post office and although they say you will receive it within 2weeks, I got my possport in a total of 5 business days. State Dept. issues the expedited passports within 72 hours of receiving the completed applications. They advertise 2 weeks and mostly deliver within 1 week.

2) Travel with a Naturalization Certificate - you don't need a passport for travelling to Canada and Mexico at the present time.

3) After getting the naturalization certificate, schedule an appointment and go the regional passport agency with the travel ticket and get the passport on the same day!

You can pick anything you like!

Last edited by a moderator:
at the oath ceremony?

Has anyone applied for a passport right after the oath ceremony using the "expedited service"? Is this service even available other than at a post office?

pacific1 said:
Has anyone applied for a passport right after the oath ceremony using the "expedited service"? ?

Yes. I have. They say it takes 14 days. It usually arrives in 5 to 7 business days if you pay for expedite service w/express delivery both ways.

pacific1 said:
Is this service even available other than at a post office?
No. It is only available at the POs where the passport applications are accepted.

If you need to travel within 14 days you have the option of going to the regional passport agency with an appointment and apply in person to get the passport the same day.

thank you very much guys

Hi guysl

thank you very much for quick reply. All the informations are very helpful. I didn't see any "regional passport agency" besides Boston Passport Agency
at massachussets. is that true apply in person can get passport in same day at boston agency?

cool2

cool2 said:
I didn't see any "regional passport agency" besides Boston Passport Agency at massachussets.
There is only one regional passport agency for a region. I gave you the link above for regional passport agencies.
My daughter just called: she got her passport. She applied last Monday, expedite service + two-way overnight. So, you would, probably, be fine apllying at the local post office the same way, but, it would be safer to apply at the regional passport agency.

when you apply for the passport at the post office, do they take your Naturalization Certificate with the application or do they hand it back to you once the information is verified.

bostonimmigrant said:
when you apply for the passport at the post office, do they take your Naturalization Certificate with the application or do they hand it back to you once the information is verified.

That is the scary part. You have to give them your Natz Certificate along with the application. It will be returned to you along with the passport. That is the only reason why I used expedite service because I did not want to part from my certificate for too long. (I wrote my address and phone number using a pencil on the back of the certificate since it is not listed on the certificate anywhere, just if it gets seperated from the application you have a chance of getting it back)

ok, so how does it work to get a copy made of the certificate, and if you apply at the regional office with a 14 day reason of trip or visa apply, do they still take the certificate ??

Yes. But you will get it back the same day. I made a (few) copies for myself before letting my certificate leave me.