Question about GC application

hzhu

My visiting parents\' visa will expire soon and they want to stay here no matter whether their visa extension application is approved or not. My question is will their illegal stay with us affect my future GC application? I probably will submit my application in several months. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Depends on INS

After 9/11 it is not worth taking such chances. INS could reject extension application and give you enough time for parents to return to home country. After that they are staying illegally in US and if INS choses to track them down you could be involved. I am assuming that it is your address where your parents had given when filling I-94 and other forms, you may have also given some letter of sponsor etc.

Citizenship Process

A friend of mine had a DUI 2 years ago, would that affect his citizenship procedure. Please advice

for Hzhu: could be so

Much depends on your reason why you are eligible for GC status.

Another subject: If your parents wish to stay, they should submit I-539 to NSC. if denied, they should return home. In post 9/11 USA, valid immigration status is valuable.

for SammySingh: DUI could impact on Naturalization

An arrest/conviction for DUI should show up on the background search. your friend should remember to mention all arrests and convictions on his N-400. If he has several, he should consult an attorney prior to filing. He should wait till off probation before filing his N-400 as it cannot be approved if the applicant is on probation.