Question about extending TN

hughk

Registered Users (C)
I have some questions regarding the extension of my TN.

1. Who is supposed to fill out the form, I-129 and its Free Trade Agreement Supplement form? Myself or employer?
2. In part 2 of the form I-129, TN status holders didn't get "petition receipt number" for 3. and 4. and so I don't have to worry about this, right?
3. In Part 5. What are LCA number and NAICS code? I believe that the rests of Part 5 are supposed to be filled out by employer (in my case, US government).
4. If I choose e-filing, do I have to file it or employer?
5. Do I have to send $190 and the necessary documents after I e-file it?
6. Any other consideration? Period these days?

Man thanks in advance

If your employer is the Govt, let them worry about it. It's their petition, in any event.

I have some questions regarding the extension of my TN.

1. Who is supposed to fill out the form, I-129 and its Free Trade Agreement Supplement form? Myself or employer?
2. In part 2 of the form I-129, TN status holders didn't get "petition receipt number" for 3. and 4. and so I don't have to worry about this, right?
3. In Part 5. What are LCA number and NAICS code? I believe that the rests of Part 5 are supposed to be filled out by employer (in my case, US government).
4. If I choose e-filing, do I have to file it or employer?
5. Do I have to send $190 and the necessary documents after I e-file it?
6. Any other consideration? Period these days?

Man thanks in advance

1) As far as "filling" it out I guess it doesn't really matter. Would probably be best if it were your employer especially since they have to sign it at the end. My employer isn't very well informed about TN status so when we sent in the I-129 last week or week and a half ago, I essentially filled out what I could, handed it to my employer and said "this is what it needs to look like plus the information you need to fill out about the company (Federal employer#, Annual Income, profit etc etc)"

2) You only fill this out if your last TN was granted by filling out a prior I-129. When you submit an I-129 you get a receipt notice from USCIS with a number to track your case etc. I am assuming your last TN was done at a POE, therefore you did not get a Petetion Receipt #. Put "n/a" as your answer. I went a little extra and put in the box "n/a - TN Entry, Peace Bridge POE" to let USCIS know that it was done at a POE.

3) LCA number only applies to H1-B applicants. NAICS code are the job codes that define your job industry etc (i.e. Civil Engineering). I don;t have the exact link, I just Googled it and found the code for mine which was under "Traffic Engineering Consulting Services" or something like that. For LCA put "n/a".

4) I haven't done this so I don't know.

5) I never e-filed so I don't know. If you end up sending it by regular mail, the $190 MUST be included with the package but i'm sure you already knew that.

6) As far as a period goes, there is a "240 day grace period". This means that if your current TN expires while your I-129 petetion is pending, you can continue to work for the same employer for up to 240 days past expiry. As long as you submit the I-129 package to USCIS BEFORE your current TN expiry date, you are fine and can continue to work for 240 days past expiry while a decision on your case is pending.

Other considerations would be to remember to submit all your proofs required (Diploma/degree, proof of Canadian Citizenship, copies of current I-94 front & back, job offer letter explaining the reason for extension etc).

Hope this helps and that I was somewhat accurate.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone has done e-filing for TN extension?

Thanks for the reply.

This is my first TN extension.
Anyone has done e-mailing for TN extension lately? Can Employer do it for me?
How long will it take these days? I've heard e-filing may be faster than mailing. Now I know about 240 days rule but my family is still in Canada and I go back to see them every 2 ~ 3 months.

Thanks
Hugh

Since you nmentionned that you leave US every 2 or 3 months, then you are aware that the 240 days only lasts up until your leave US, so you may need to apply at border anyways.

I think that after the fee goes up, you will see more just go to the border, since a large number of mailed/e-filed TNs don't get completed anyways due to leaving US.

if you visit Canada frequently, it would be a lot better for you to just get a new TN at the border and not bother with the I-129. e-filing only speeds up the time to get the I-129 into the hands of the USCIS, it has no impact on the adjudication time line (which is quite long right now b/c of the backlog of H1Bs). I filed last year at this time of year and it took 5 months to get a decision from USCIS; i expect it will be similar this year.

also, once your TN expires and you rely on the 240 day grace period to remain in the US and working b/c you have a pending I-129, if you leave the US then the I-129 petition will be considered abandoned.

e-filing and going to POE after e-filing or mailing

After e-filing or mailing for TN extension, can I go to POE to get a new TN IF I DO NOT REPLY in, let say, 3 months? In this case, the job offer letter should be different (for example, I don't neet the reason for the extension and so on)

Thanks

yes you can go to a POE. you would use the same letter perhaps with some changes to the dates.

Remember that if you apply for I-129 and subsequently get a border TN, even though the I-129 is technically abandonned (since you have left US to get to the POE), you should ALWAYS formally withdraw the I-129 asap after getting your new I-94, otherwise you risk that your mail-in is rejected and that becomes the last valid action re your status (as well as possibly giving you a shorter expiry date).