Ques. about New Passport on pending 485

rmsag

Registered Users (C)
Gurus, any advice on this issue ?
My passport is expiring this year and I applied for new passport(renewal) now my doubt is that do I need to inform USCIS about new passport as my 485 application is still pending.
Is there any issue, if I use AP for outside USA travel using my new passport.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think you need to inform USCIS.

My I-485 is pending since July 2003 and got a new passport in Jan 2007. Got it stamped for my H1 in the new passport. But carried the old passport too as it has all previous records/stamps.

As long as you carry both the passports (till one entry to the new passport) you will be fine.

Gurus, any advice on this issue ?
My passport is expiring this year and I applied for new passport(renewal) now my doubt is that do I need to inform USCIS about new passport as my 485 application is still pending.
Is there any issue, if I use AP for outside USA travel using my new passport.
Thanks in advance.

I believe you would be ok when you carry both old and new passports.

As a matter of fact, I renewed my passport a few days ago and traveled to India with both the passports. Entry into India was not an issue at all.

I would travel back into US in a few days. I will let you my experience.

vvvunlucky and gcWudBeHere
Are you guys using Visa Stamp or AP at USA POE, I have AP to use while coming back with new passport.

I had the same situation. I have a new passport, latest H1 visa stamp on new passport and AP, 485, EAD which I applied using my old passport. I came back from india about a week using new passport and latest H1 visa stamp in new passport. I have not informed USCIS about my new passport because I don't have to.

I would suggest keep your old and new passport and show your latest H1 visa to IO while coming back. If you have AP,485 receipt, EAD keep with you just in case required.

You need to carry both the passports.

Whether you have H1 stamp on old or new passport
or you use AP it doesn't matter.

But one thing with my son's passport experience,
it is better to have the passport whoch doesn't expire less than an year at port of entry.

My son got his I-94 which is valid till passport expiration date even though he has a valid H4 stamped till 2009. CBP at port of entry won't give I-94 beyond your passport. In my son's case, we returned on June 16th 2007, and his passport expiring on June 15th 2008.

I am preparing to file for his extension for a new I -94 afte talked with CBP officer and attorney.

I travelled in and out of the USA when the H1 visa stamp was on my old expired passport. I carried both old and new passports and did not have any issue.
They scanned the visa from the old passport, verified the information on the two passports to be the same person and stamped my new passport with the arrival date.

Since the visa stamp and the AP document are primarily for travel purposes, I "think" you will be OK.

I do not know if you have to scan the entire new passport and send to USCIS for your 485 purposes.

Even though you get a lot of responses on this forum, get a response to your questions from your immigration attorney also.