Q4 (OCT-DEC) 2008 N400 Filers Tracker

Yes...the white document checklist had it worded differently which gave me some hope. But I just wanted to have that document in hand in case it was asked for. Would be bummed if I ended up in some "decision cannot be made" limbo for any reason. I have the USPS delivery confirmation slip from Dec just in case...:) Good Luck to you too!!

Just FYI...Two weeks ago I did finally get my Selective Service Letter from my request at the end of December. So it took about 2 months and 10 days...I don't think I will be asked for it at the interview because I entered the US when I was 28. But thought I'd post the info for anyone else who might be waiting...

Thx Jac2005 - I had sent my SS request on Feb 23rd, with my interview now rescheduled to April 21st (5 yr GC time related), I guess I'll get the SS status before my April interview date...

Thx Jac2005 - I had sent my SS request on Feb 23rd, with my interview now rescheduled to April 21st (5 yr GC time related), I guess I'll get the SS status before my April interview date...
UscIn2009 /jac2005 & ALL

I entered US on H1B VISA when I was 28 years old and as per SSA we don't need to register right ? But do they still ask the letter during Interview ? I did not apply for any SS letter as of now and my interview will be 04/28, do I need to be concerned on this ?

Thanks for your help,

UscIn2009 /jac2005 & ALL

I entered US on H1B VISA when I was 28 years old and as per SSA we don't need to register right ? But do they still ask the letter during Interview ? I did not apply for any SS letter as of now and my interview will be 04/28, do I need to be concerned on this ?

Thanks for your help,

I came to US after my 26th birthday, so I don't think we need to register SS. :)

Interview day surprise

Showed up for interview today in Houston district office and was told that the security check is pending after waiting for over 2 hrs. Remember seeing post about the same experience. How long this waiting game is going to be?

Showed up for interview today in Houston district office and was told that the security check is pending after waiting for over 2 hrs. Remember seeing post about the same experience. How long this waiting game is going to be?

Same here. I got the good old "Decision cannot be made", "Pending Security clearance". Officer went through application in a blitz, like she's gonna miss a train or something, turned out she was behind schedule.
It took 10 minutes, didnt ask for anything but usual ID GC and Passport.

and yes, now the waiting game begins :confused:

Edit: I didn't pay attention that you were not interviewed. I was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. I got the good old "Decision cannot be made", "Pending Security clearance". Officer went through application in a blitz, like she's gonna miss a train or something, turned out she was behind schedule.

Alien1,

Sorry to hear that, did she tell you that you need to come again for interview ?

It is a shame. I feel that it can get even more unpredictable after getting stuck in the process in terms of processing time and that leaves more rooms for them to make mistake.

Houston district office is doing a 2 pass process. They first call you to a booth (cubicle) for verifying name, checks and English/civics test. Then you would be called again for the real interview. I was called in first to show my GC for verifying the name. Then the lady told me she would need to run a check on my case. When she came back and called me in again, she told me that she just did the security status check and it was still pending. She apologized for the mistake and I was sent back home without knowing for sure what is going to happen next. She nicely wrote down the USCIS website for me to get more help.

UscIn2009 /jac2005 & ALL

Thanks for your help,

YOu should be fine but its not a bad idea to initiate the request to them anyway. You wont need it most likely and even if they do ask you can atleast show them that you applied for it...

Alien1,

Sorry to hear that, did she tell you that you need to come again for interview ?

No. She said once the security clearance is obtained they will review the file again, it could be her or any officer available.

No. She said once the security clearance is obtained they will review the file again, it could be her or any officer available.

Holy crap, you got interviewed just three months after you sent in your application! Frankly, it doesn't seem beyond the pale that USCIS hasn't finished security clearance checks (name checks?) in that timeframe. Since they did go ahead and interview you anyway, they're legally obligated to render a decision within 120 days. If not, you can sue them under a specific provision. Forgot the citation but should be in the lawsuit sticky.

Holy crap, you got interviewed just three months after you sent in your application!
Why are you so surprised? Three to four months is the norm these days. Mine is three and a half months from mailing to interview and that includes a four week delay in which I had to reschedule fingerprinting.

Why are you so surprised? Three to four months is the norm these days. Mine is three and a half months from mailing to interview and that includes a four week delay in which I had to reschedule fingerprinting.

This "norm" is dependent upon the district office you fall under. sh1996, like, me belongs to NYC DO. For NYC, the "norm" is six months (if luck favors) for interview date from the N-400 mailing date.

Holy crap, you got interviewed just three months after you sent in your application! Frankly, it doesn't seem beyond the pale that USCIS hasn't finished security clearance checks (name checks?) in that timeframe. Since they did go ahead and interview you anyway, they're legally obligated to render a decision within 120 days. If not, you can sue them under a specific provision. Forgot the citation but should be in the lawsuit sticky.

Looks like they (DO) have no control over who's getting scheduled. she sounds frustrated when she mentioned about scheduling.

cxqiu and AlexD mentioned slimier experiences. I would have rather waited another month and got the results on spot than going in quickly and wait infinitely.....:rolleyes:

There are people in this forum who have their IV scheduled in less than 3 months.

Hello Sh1996,
My timeline is exactely like yours.
The last time I called, I was told that I have been put in the queue since Feb 25th.
Please, let me know if you get any news, I will be looking for you. Also, I will put any change in my stuation.

cxqiu and AlexD mentioned slimier experiences. I would have rather waited another month and got the results on spot than going in quickly and wait infinitely.....:rolleyes:

There are people in this forum who have their IV scheduled in less than 3 months.

That's just it, you WON'T have to wait indefinitely. Because they actually interviewed you (unlike some other poor guy on the thread - CXQIU?), USCIS has to give you a decision within 120 days. The provision is INA Section 336(b), 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b). The second post on the lawsuit sticky explains it in detail what you can do to force them to adjudicate. So worst case, you'll get your decision in around 120 days...about when those of us in NYC DO may get our interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Sh1996,
My timeline is exactely like yours.
The last time I called, I was told that I have been put in the queue since Feb 25th.
Please, let me know if you get any news, I will be looking for you. Also, I will put any change in my stuation.

Timing varies by DO. I'd venture to guess Atlanta's probably faster then NYC, which seems to be bringing up the rear these days -- not just compared to low immigrant population DOs, which is understandable, but compared to DOs in California (LA, San Jose, etc.)

Looks like they (DO) have no control over who's getting scheduled. she sounds frustrated when she mentioned about scheduling.

Is it possible to check with DO whether everything is OK with the case - No name check or security check pending ?

I agree that I can wait a month or two rather than going to interview and seeing this kind of issues.

hi everybody
I'm very worry about my situation. I've applied for us citizenship since december. everything was fine 'til the date of my interview.
After my interview the officer told me i'm gonna get N14 form in my mailbox within a week. I did get the form and have send some additionnal document since december 21 2008.
I havent hear from the officer since i sent all the documents. It's been more than 3 months i'm waiting for their decision. Idont know what to do. Please help me. What should i do. IF you know a phon number that i can call....
I got my interview in baltimore.