Q3 (JUL-SEP) 2008 N400 Filers Tracker

I didn't get any info about being placed on queue, after my file was after the normal processing times (5 mo for S.Antonio) I open a service request that (very likely) lead to IL.

Calling from service reqeust opening I got the following answers on teh phone (always from an IO):

1) After 2 weeks: we assign a IO on your case
2) After 3 weeks: your file is almost ready to be transfer to your DO
3) After 3.5 weeks: your interview date is 3/18

5 days after I got the IL.

My suggestion is to open a service request.

I hope it helps.

David,
How do I open a service request?

David,
How do I open a service request?

If your case is outside the normal processing time Call (800) 375 – 5283 stating that you still need to receive the IL and want to open a service request.

For some reasons (usual discrepancies; they said that even thought the processing time on the USCIS website says 5mo the reality is 7mo and so on...) I needed to call 3-4 time before having the service request opened.

As info: Some folks in this forum open the service request also within the normal processing time.

If your case is outside the normal processing time Call (800) 375 – 5283 stating that you still need to receive the IL and want to open a service request.

For some reasons (usual discrepancies; they said that even thought the processing time on the USCIS website says 5mo the reality is 7mo and so on...) I needed to call 3-4 time before having the service request opened.

As info: Some folks in this forum open the service request also within the normal processing time.

Thanks David. I will call right away.

I got the yellow letter (Interview checklist letter) last night, 2-12-09. How long after the yellow letter the interview letter is sent? please advise.

Really varies.... in my case I got the Yellow Letter (Addit. Doc. needed for Int) on 09/09/2008 and the Interview Letter on 02/10/2009...

However receiving the YL means that they are working on your case (and this is a good sign); unfortunately in my case after they realized they need more doc (YL) for some reasons they stopped working on my case.

Happy for you!

Finally IL letter arrived!

Service request definitely worked!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

David,
I am so happy for you, that you received your IL!

I am going to ask to open service request, too, hope it works for me as fast as it did for you. Though my DO (Honolulu) has date posted as processing time (not 6 mo, but May 29 at the end of Nov, so it seems it is about 6 mo). When I talked to IO last time, she said wait (of course!) till the end of March (why end of March?), and then they will open service request, but I will try to do it earlier.

Good luck to everybody!

Really varies.... in my case I got the Yellow Letter (Addit. Doc. needed for Int) on 09/09/2008 and the Interview Letter on 02/10/2009...

However receiving the YL means that they are working on your case (and this is a good sign); unfortunately in my case after they realized they need more doc (YL) for some reasons they stopped working on my case.

Thank you all for your prompt replies

David,
I am so happy for you, that you received your IL!

I am going to ask to open service request, too, hope it works for me as fast as it did for you. Though my DO (Honolulu) has date posted as processing time (not 6 mo, but May 29 at the end of Nov, so it seems it is about 6 mo). When I talked to IO last time, she said wait (of course!) till the end of March (why end of March?), and then they will open service request, but I will try to do it earlier.

Good luck to everybody!

Thanks!

Open it now is my suggestion.

Also in my case I had to call 2-3 times before opening it (the rep kept saying even thought on line is 5 mo the "real" processing time is 7mo...and this does not make sense)

Good luck!

is there anyone who can help me that how long does it take to get a decision from DO (chicago) after an interview i751 or they just forget about the i751 after i filed the n 400 cauz i recd yesterday yellow letter saying bring some docs to the interview. is that means that my bck ground / name check is cleared or not

Received... NOT IL

Hello, everybody,

don't know if it would help anybody (doesn't seem that there is anybody else from Hawaii), but here is an update - I received a letter from the district office informing me that they will be scheduling my interview (hooray!), but it will be in Honolulu (different island), so I can write and ask for interview on this island (and save $300 on plane), but I have to prove that traveling to Honolulu would be a hardship (not just inconvenience), and if granted, I would have to wait forever (loose translation of the letter:))

And they sort of promise next day oath (1 or 2 days), so I would only have to do it once.

So, at least something is moving.

Good luck to everybody on this journey,

We lived on Kauai I few years back and had our GC interview in Honolulu. We did not have the budget to travel. I had lots of problems with USCIS and I say go to Honolulu. Have a shopping day :) I missed malls when I was there. Now I want to go back ;) Can you use the ferry? Would it be more cost effective? I believe to not re-schedule with them, count yourself lucky :)

ps. My husband say to swim

pss. they schedule interviews on neighbor islands? what do you mean to take forever?

Last edited by a moderator:
We lived on Kauai I few years back and had our GC interview in Honolulu. We did not have the budget to travel. I had lots of problems with USCIS and I say go to Honolulu. Have a shopping day :) I missed malls when I was there. Now I want to go back ;) Can you use the ferry? Would it be more cost effective? I believe to not re-schedule with them, count yourself lucky :)

ps. My husband say to swim

pss. they schedule interviews on neighbor islands? what do you mean to take forever?

Thanks for the reply, cregan,
yes, they do (or used to) schedule interviews on other islands (I had my GC interview in Hilo), used to come about once a month. Now the letter says they come "infrequently", so the waiting time will be "well in excess of those able to travel to Honolulu". I will go to Honolulu, of course, it's been more than 6 mo already, and I agree, better not give them an excuse for delay.
I don't think ferry is any cheaper, last time I looked, and water is pretty cool now, so I'll pass swimming :)

IL received!

Hooray,
IL received!
Thank you everybody for your support!

Cregan, you were right, any request about where the interview is going to be (Honolulu or another island) would be the same as request to reschedule (that's why IL was sent before the letter from the local office), and would take a long time, so I am not going to do it .
Maybe when it is all over, I should start a thread "How they don't make it easy for us" :)

Now I can start going through both the old and the new civics test (I used to know all the answers back in October)

Good luck to everybody!

Interview Experience- Decision cannot be made-Pending security clearance

Interview Experience

My interview time was at 10:45 am, my spouse 9:30 signed in at 9 am for both. My spouse went in called at 9:20 and was back by 9:40am . As soon the spouse entered was told us the bad news that security clearance hasnt be cleared and that she would do our interview and asked us to wait for 20-90 days.He was asked to take the oath and choice of test was asked he picked old test and was asked only 6 questions Star colors, How many yrs House of representative elected etc cant remember the rest but was very easy. When over the entire N400 application was asked addresses during the time we came to us for te first time in H1B and all previous employers during h1b time. Requeested passport, GC, kids birth certificate, SSN card, Drivers license. I was called at 10:00 am and was out by 10:25 am. The rest of the interview was exactly same for me except i took the new test questions. So we are in waiting more

1) War in 1900's?
2)Which month do we vote for president
3) how many memmbers in House of representatives?
4) How many years is senator elected?
5) How many years is House of representative member elected?
6) cant remember that one

NSC- Des Moines

MD –App mail date 09/25/2008
RD- 09/26/2008
PD- 09/26/2008
ND- 10/03/2008
FP Notice –10/10/08
FP –11/03/2008
Document Checklist Received dated-11/12/2008
Document Checklist Dated-11/08/2008
Case File review Doc Yellow letter- 12/16/2008
IL-01/05/2009
ID-02/24/2009- Decision cannot be made -pending security clearance

Latest update - Interview done. Passport received

10/08/08: Applied N400 and sent it
10/11/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
10/14/08: Check Cashed
10/14/08: Notice Date
10/22/08: Received Date
10/14/08: Priority Date
11/03/08: FP Notice Received
11/20/08: FP Appointment
11/08/08: FP Newark Walk in done(sat 10am)
12/28/08: Interview letter received.
02/12/09: Interview date @ 8:30am in Newark
02/12/09: Interview done. Was in @ 8:am, came out @ 2pm after oath. (Noticed that the interview person had all my records including tax W2 from 1997)
(Total time : 4 months and 4 days)
02/13/09: Applied USA passport - Expedited.
02/20/09: Received US passport.
02/23/09: Applied for India OCI card.

Best of luck to everyone out there and thanks to this forum.

Updated (received IL finally!!) so mine is 5mths and counting, prob be like 7-8mths when its all said and done. Detroit office is super slow, I see many people on here who filed with me that have finished.

Mailed N400 to NSC (Priority mail w/ delivery confirmation) received Sep 2, 08
Check cashed Sep 24, 08
NOA received Oct 3, 08
PD Sep 23, 08
FP letter received: Oct 9, 08
FP: Oct 16, 08 (painless process, took about 20mins in GR)

IL: Feb 25, 2009
ID: March 31, 2009

My mom's ID is March 23, she rescheduled from a Dec interview, had to go out of town. Hers went quick though, cause her FP was mid Sep, IL received in Nov

Had my interview today, passed. Oath next week on March 5th.

Reached the Tukwila office at 1:45pm for my 2pm interview, there was huge crowd as they had a Oath ceremony, I was bit worried that I will be delayed, but they did gave priority for people with letters, was asked to goto 2nd floor for interview.

There was two big waiting area on either side of stairs, can wait both side. The interviewers keep popping through door on either side, so you have to pay attention and listen to calls. I was expecting long wait, but within 10 mins was called in.

First was swearing that I will tell the truth. The officier went through my N-400, asked my name, address, went through questions on the N400, asking me details. I mentioned my traffic violation, she asked about it (as it says citation), mentioned it is a traffic ticket, she asked about arrest history, affiliations, looked at my birth certificate copy, my middle name, last name. She asked if I have passport copy, luckily I had taken copy of first & last page, provided to her. Once all these checked out went to interview questions.

Questions she asked were 1) what are the colors of flag 2) Who was the president during civil war 3) What year the constitution was written 4) Who is the current president 5) Who takes over if presidency if president & vice president cannot perform their job 6) Who is the first president of US (forgot couple of questions, but they were all simple).
Then she asked me to read an english statement written on a paper, asked me to write a sentence.

Then she said I passed, congratulated me. I thanked her, checked to make sure my name, DOB, address are correct in her printed sheet. Asked me to print name in a sheet in 3 places, asked me to sign 3 photos (that was sent with N400 app). Then she said my oath is on March 5th, Thu, I was very surprised and happy that it is only one more week.

The whole thing took 20 mins and I was out. I had tax transcripts, selective services letter and many more docs, but none was asked for. It was pleasantly a breeze.

Good luck to rest of you all, things seem to be moving faster now in Seattle.