Proper process on Traveling with AP

mastaan

Registered Users (C)
I received my AP in September. Now I have decided to travel with this AP.
The AP, is only a 3 page document, with my picture pasted on one page and signed by some immigration officer.
It doesn\'t have any clear instruction as for what to do with it.
Can someone please tell me, in details, what am I supposed to do with this document? How many copies should I make? Who should I give these copies to? etc.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No Title

here is how it works ...

Departing from the US: Just return your I94 when you present your ticket to the airline ticketing agent

Arriving to the US on AP: Make 2/3 copies of the AP (the one with your photo on it) and present a copy/original to the ticketing agent at the time you check in to the at the departure city. many airlines have a policy of keeping a copy of the AP (United/American) and some airlines do not care (lufthansa)

At each transfer point (eg. LONDON/FRANKFURT/TOKYO etc) you will need to present the AP+Passport (AP in lieu of the visa) and depending upon the airline they may want a copy of the AP.

At the US port of entry present the AP+Passport to the officer and the depening upon the airport (some airports allow the officer to have the "PAROLE STAMP" and others require you to go to a special booth) you passport and AP will be stamped with the PAROLE STAMP usually valid for 1 year from the date that you enter with the annotation of "AOS". the Departure card portion of the I-94 will also be stamped with the PAROLE STAMp and and be annotated with AOS with a validity for 1 year.

Note that you do need to fill out an I-94 and in the section on visa information (Visa issued ) state "N/A".

If you have a multiple entry AP, the same AP will be stamped multiple times with the Parole stamp as long as the travel is within the "validity date"

hope this helps ....

seasoned AP traveller

Waiting_for_ins and Mastaan one question

I have applied for AOS and have my AP. I\'m working with the sponsoring employer and still have the h1-b stamping till aug\'02. If i want to goto india and comeback can i go on my old h1 itself or do i have to use my AP. Pls. advise

AP is checked at each leg of an international journey to USA

AP is required only when you are heading to the USA from a location outside US.

Nowadays due to hieghtened security all the agents from your deparure city, transit location etc want to make sure that you have travel authorization to visit the US and hence the AP checks.

Just leave your AP in the passport each time you meet a airline/security agent when you are travelling into the US.

hope this helps,

W_F_I

mastaan / waiting_for_ins, question on AP

how many copies of AP document did you receive? I got 3 documents, all the same except, just one of them did not have a photograph on it. Is this correct? Why two with photograph? My AP is valid for multiple entry.

Thanks for you input.

No Title

I only received (actually my lawyer did) one copy of the document that consists of 4 pages.
First page is the letter.
Second page is the one with my picture on it. At the bottom it says "TO ALIEN"
Third page doesn\'t have my picture but same as 2nd page. At the bottom it says "TO TRASPORTATION LINE."
Fourth page "NOTICE TO APPLICANT" that describes the warning in big letters.

That\'s all I received and when waiting_for_ins suggested I make 3/4 copies, I assumed making 3/4 copies of all four pages.

Please comment.

One page is sufficient

The single page with your picture on it, marked for "transportation line" is generally sufficient. I was referring to this as the AP which you may want to make copies for simple convienience while travelling.

On some occasions (it varies with the POE officer) will ask for the others pages of the AP (ie. originals) so it is always better to carry all of them with you.

hope this helps

w_f_i

waiting_for_ins or any gurus please respond

I have valid H1 stamp and AP but my EAD is in processing. My wife does not have a H4 stamp but has her AP/EAD. Is it OK if she uses her AP/EAD and I use H1 and we pass thro the same POE counter. Also, if I am forced to use AP should I have EAD approved by then?

choices choices

sk485,

i am not a lawyer and am quoting from experiences only, pls consult with some who can interpret the legalese to be sure.

having said the above, at face value it appears that you can use your H1 (even of if you have your AP) since the H1 is dual intent at the POE. This is being done and should not pose any problem.

Your wife can use her AP and should be fine too (there is an assumption that your wife has a US visa stamp in her passport other than the H4 which may be either current or past)

Do make sure that both of you have been maintaining proper status and that the 3yr/10yr will not apply.

Also the EAD (only used at the time of employment to fill in the I-9 form and possibly as yet another photo id) is not used at the POE and has no significance to enter the US.

W_F_I

Status Check

Want to travel on AP as visa has expired and stay in US extended based on extensions by INS. Please advice ASAP. W_F_I your advice is very helpful. Thank you.

Recent nice and pleasant experience at JFK

My wife reached yesterday (Dec 19,2001) by British Airways @ JFK.
Just I am narrating her experience using AP.

1. She had a valid H4 visa but it was not stamped in PP and in Chennai consulate they informed her that there is no need for stamping for H4 and she can travel with AP

2. She has to show the AP everytime alongwith PP prior to boarding. They had checked up @ Chennai and London.

3. At JFK POE she had handed over both AP and Passport to the officials. No questions or anything. They had asked her to wait for few minutes and afterwards the Parole stamp was stamped in Passport, I 94 and also another stamp @ original of AP. One copy of AP they took it. The I 94 is valid for 1 year. Not even a discussion. She had mentioned to me totally it took almost 5-10 minutes to complete whole process and it was pleasant and nice.

Hope it will be helpful to our guys.

Your answers were helpful

Hi,

In fact your detailed explanation of AP travelling was so helpful and in fact we followed the same procedures. Thanks for your great and sincere help. Everything went smooth at JFK

Question to Jaganathan, please appreciate your help....

Applied I485 and AP in Nov. 2001 for me and my wife, we both got AP approval. I am planning to go to Europe on job and take my wife along with me. She came to U.S. on H4 visa and and it is valid till Nov. 2000, after that she got H1 and it is valid till year 2004 but her visa is not revalidated so her passport has valid visa till Nov. 2000 and her H1 valid till 2004. Since august 2001 she does not have project so no paycheck obviously.

My question: is there going to be problem for my wife at POE being on H1 and not working even though we travel on A.P.????

Thanks!