Proof of Tax return and Driving record

Terese

Registered Users (C)
My interview is scheduled next month. I know folks in this forum, get proof from IRS stating they are current on their taxes and also get driving record (especially tickets paid proof). My question is what, where and how do you get that?

1). For IRS, which form to file to get a proof stating you are current on taxes?
2). For driving record, where do you get it? What do you need to get to show you have paid all your tickets. What if you have tickets from 2 different counties (I have a speeding ticket from one county and insurance/registration proof from another county - BTW, i had insurance and registration but on that day, i did not have it on me and then i went and showed the proof and paid less than $10 as penalty).

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Your application basis?

You have to clarify whether you are marriage based 3 years or 5 year continuous residency. That will help answer your question.

My interview is scheduled next month. I know folks in this forum, get proof from IRS stating they are current on their taxes and also get driving record (especially tickets paid proof). My question is what, where and how do you get that?

1). For IRS, which form to file to get a proof stating you are current on taxes?
Contact IRS by phone or by web and request a copy of your tax filing history.
2). For driving record, where do you get it? What do you need to get to show you have paid all your tickets. What if you have tickets from 2 different counties (I have a speeding ticket from one county and insurance/registration proof from another county - BTW, i had insurance and registration but on that day, i did not have it on me and then i went and showed the proof and painless than $10 as penalty).
There's no requirement to show your driving record or proof of payment for simple traffic tickets less than $500 let alone for traffic tickets from foreign countries.

If you don't have long absences and have always filed taxes correctly, then just take the returns you have with you. The tax papers are used more as proof of residency than anything else. The forum posts can make a person alarmed about carrying a mountain of unnecessary paperwork. Most IOs never ask for this for simple cases.

Reg the tickets,many here don't disclose non DUI tickets especially if the fines are under 500. If you have copies of the payments or the actual tickets issued by each county, take it with you as proof of them being under $500. There are several posts on this topic, use the search function to get an idea of the variety of responses. And that includes people writing when they confuse counties with countRies.

Terese,

Some say take proof for tickets under 500, some say you dont have to.

If you are a person who plays it safe, just take whatever you can get your hands on (ticket proof and tax return proof) with you for peace of mind.

You can contact Motor Vehicles Departments and the courts for getting proof of handling your tickets.

Since I've always been curious.

So I have some tickets probably 2 or 3 since i had my interview 31 months ago. they are all paid, and none of them were up to incurring points on the Driver Licence, or more than maybe $165 each as far as I recall.
Also, I understand it is not required to have your records with you during the Oath Ceremony/second Interview-preceremony, but if want to be safe, what kind of record would someone recommend me to have for the Oath/2nd interview?
I had the 1st interview in OCT 2005

amasamas,
if you want to play it safe, just take all your ticket records. some folks feel more comfortable doing so (for the "just incase IO asks me" scenario)

if you are of the type who feel ok with not taking it, then you can omit it.

I really think the USCIS should more clearly state which traffic tickets need
to be disclosed. the current explanations on the N400 application and
instruction are somewhat vague. :rolleyes:

RE: IRS & State DMV

2). For driving record, where do you get it? What do you need to get to show you have paid all your tickets. What if you have tickets from 2 different counties (I have a speeding ticket from one county and insurance/registration proof from another county - BTW, i had insurance and registration but on that day, i did not have it on me and then i went and showed the proof and paid less than $10 as penalty).

Thanks and appreciate your help.

1.-IRS Form 4506
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

2. Get an driving record abstract from your State DMV, less than $500.00 don't worry about it.

:)

How do you get a payment proof for each traffic ticket. Do you need to go to DMV or court? What do you ask for? Is it enough just to get a driving history record?

How do you get a payment proof for each traffic ticket. Do you need to go to DMV or court? What do you ask for? Is it enough just to get a driving history record?

You may get copy of driving records from both court (it will show that you paid fines or not) and DMV (it will show how many points you have). Like everyone said, just play it safe to bring your records with you. If you have traffic tickets 5 years ago, both court and DMV sometimes don't have any records of 5 years ago violations. Some of them have 3 years records (some old records were expunged). You don't have to worry about anything if fines are less than $500 and non-dwi/dui tickets. The most important thing is that you are under oath and tell the truth that you paid fines (less than $500) if you are asked at the interview.

I already got both copies from district court and MVA (DMV).