Proof Of Marriage and Photocopies Question

AussieMark

Registered Users (C)
My wife is a USC and we recently married. We have dated 3.5 years and had a 14 month engagement.
In our package, we provided a photocopy of our current lease (in both names), our joint bank account, a PHOTOCOPY of our marriage certificate, and approx 16 photos of our life together. Some of these are dated 3 years ago and some are current from our wedding ceremony, showing family and friends etc.

My questions;
1) is this enough evidence?
2) is it ok to send photocopies and not originals?
3) I also sent photocopies of other documents such as birth certificates etc as requested in other forms, is this ok or do I need to send originals?
4) What is usual turnaround time to get an EAD per I-765?
5) Does an EAD give me priveliges to work anywhere in the US? Are there any restrictions on this?

Any help would be appreciated

You don't need to submit any evidence such a lease, bank accounts, 16 photos with your current filing. That information is required at your interview with an immigration officer. You will need to send the required evidence for each form right now, I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-693. This is required for you filing.

These are the forms you/your spouse will need to file:

Your USC Spouse files:

I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (your spouse files this); fee at this time is $355, click to see most current filing fee, download form and instructions.

You (the GC applicant) file:

I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (this is your main application form); fee at this time is $1010, click to see most current filing fee, download form and instructions.
I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, to be filed with your I-485 (this has to be filled out by your civil surgeon. If you have had the BCG vaccination, your TB test will most probably be positive, so ask for a chest x-ray at the same time to save time if it is not suggested). This will take about 3-4 days and probably cost between $160-220 depending on your doctor, find an approved doctor here. Click to download form and instructions.
I-864, Affidavit of Support, to be filled out by your spouse and/or another sponsor, filed with your I-485. Check instructions to see if you can use the I-864EZ instead, it is shorter. Make sure you qualify for it. Click to download form and instructions.
I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (this is your ‘work permit’ and is optional, although most people file it); fee is $0 if you file with your I-485 or after your I-485 has been received by USCIS, click to download form and instructions.

I-131, Application for Travel Document (this is your advance parole application, if you want to travel before you have your green card in your passport/in your hand, also optional), fee is $0 if you file with your I-485 or after your I-485 has been received by USCIS, click to download form and instructions.

G-325A, Biographic Information. Fill out 2 copies for the applicant and 1 for the USC spouse, 1 for each goes with I-130 and 2nd applicant form goes with I-485. Click to download form and instructions.

Passport photos- You will need about 7 for the applicant and 1 for the USC spouse, get extras in case you mess up.

My suggestions on how to do this:

- Print out all the forms and instructions from the USCIS website, make sure you are filing close to when you print- check the version date and make sure it is the most recent or acceptable.
- Read the instructions, highlighting what else you need to send along with the form. Make sure you are sending enough documents from each required category.
- Make a list of all these items, and get them together.
- Fill out all the forms, sign and date them.
- Organize each application separately; do not send any original documents other than the forms unless specifically asked to do so.
- Print out cover letters for each application, this will also serve as checklists for yourself. I have attached the templates I used at the bottom. It is YOUR responsibility to check that the fees/forms used are current, and the requirements for supporting documents etc. have not changed. This was accurate at the time I applied for my AOS and as you can see from my timeline I have been successful so far.
- Clip each application securely with a large paper clip/put it in a separate plastic envelope/secure it in a way you like.
- Make sure once again that you have included everything, re-read the instructions at this point to see if you missed anything. This is probably what you would pay an attorney hundreds of dollars to do.
- Put all the applications in 1 big strong folder, seal it and mail it off!! If you are sending all the 4 applications together (and if you can, you should), they should go to the address on the I-130 instructions, i.e. to the Chicago Lockbox.

Thanks Al Southerner,

I did lodge all those forms (except the I-131) which is not needed right now.

Per the "Do it yourself" section in this forum, it said to include the copies and photos with my application (supporting evidence) and cover sheets, which i followed to a tee. Im sure I have everything included, and I did mail to the Chicago address.

My original questions were whether I provided enough evidence and whether photocopies were sufficient.
I was also wanting to know how long the EAD takes and if it means I can work anywhere once recieved.

Your help is appreciated

Thanks Al Southerner,

I did lodge all those forms (except the I-131) which is not needed right now.

Per the "Do it yourself" section in this forum, it said to include the copies and photos with my application (supporting evidence) and cover sheets, which i followed to a tee. Im sure I have everything included, and I did mail to the Chicago address.

My original questions were whether I provided enough evidence and whether photocopies were sufficient.
I was also wanting to know how long the EAD takes and if it means I can work anywhere once recieved.

Your help is appreciated

I am not sure if the instructions are clear, you require passport size photos with your filing, NOT 8X11 wedding pictures. Did you include passport size pictures? I hope you did.

USCIS will deem petition acceptable provided you provided required information. For example, for the I-130 form, you are required to provide proof that your wife is a US citizen, copy of US passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate (any one of those, not all of them). Plus passport size picture of her, including copy of your marriage certificate. If you didn't provide this information, an RFE will be sent to you.

I would encourage you to search AOS interview experiences on this forum, to prepare for your future interview and also see evidence required for the interview. What you sent right now is minimal.

AussieMark, I think Al Southerner is stressing about all the mandatory things to be included - regarding the wedding snaps this is an optional one -you can exclude from the package - this is shown as proof of the bona-fide marriage, which you can always carry during the interview

I am not sure if the instructions are clear, you require passport size photos with your filing, NOT 8X11 wedding pictures. Did you include passport size pictures? I hope you did.

USCIS will deem petition acceptable provided you provided required information. For example, for the I-130 form, you are required to provide proof that your wife is a US citizen, copy of US passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate (any one of those, not all of them). Plus passport size picture of her, including copy of your marriage certificate. If you didn't provide this information, an RFE will be sent to you.

I would encourage you to search AOS interview experiences on this forum, to prepare for your future interview and also see evidence required for the interview. What you sent right now is minimal.

Thanks. Yes I did send passport pics, and as I said, I followed the "Do It Yourself" post to the tee, with cover letters etc. I included the photos as additional proof of our life together so that it can be established that we have been together years. I understand this is required at the AOS interview, but I thought id inlcude it as additional proof.
HOWEVER, my questions are still open. Is it ok to send photocopies and not originals? AND, average turn around time for EAD card? AND, once EAD is recieved, any restrictions on working?

Thanks. Yes I did send passport pics, and as I said, I followed the "Do It Yourself" post to the tee, with cover letters etc. I included the photos as additional proof of our life together so that it can be established that we have been together years. I understand this is required at the AOS interview, but I thought id inlcude it as additional proof.
HOWEVER, my questions are still open. Is it ok to send photocopies and not originals? AND, average turn around time for EAD card? AND, once EAD is recieved, any restrictions on working?

Mark,

Good work!!! If you send the required information, then it will process without any problems until you and her are scheduled for an interview. This is where you will need to bring a bulk of evidence to proof the legitimacy of your marriage or bona fide. Utilities, bank accounts, credit, lease, and many other good stuff.

Yes, copies are the only way to go, bring the originals with you to the interview. You can ONLY send the ORIGINAL if they asks for IT, and don't ever sent it to USCIS unless asked.

EAD can be used to work for any employer, except for certain federal govts which strictly require US citizenship and security clearance. Local govts and counties will accept is as proof of work authorization. EAD can be issued within 45-90 days, especially once you get your finger prints (FP), no EAD can be issued without the completion of FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to I-130 instructions
"Documents needed to prove family relationship eg. Marriage Certificate, passport pics etc. and in addition to required documentation you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may evidence the bona fides of your marriage. which can include joint ownership or property or lease shwoing common tenancy, co-mingling of fiances, birth certificates of children born to you or any other relevant documentations to establish an ongoing marital union."

I personally submitted deed to our house in both our name, birth certificates of our three children, auto insurance polices in our names as additional evidence and I sent only photocopies.
hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Will keep you updated on the various dates

10/05/10 (Day 1) Sent I-130, I-1485, I-765, I-693 and I-864 to CHI lockbox.