Proof of marital union / proof of residence

rksiva

Registered Users (C)
Background: I got my greencard through a direct consular filing in India (my wife is a USC) in 2005. I never got around to applying for naturalization until 2012, (even though I could have applied in 2008).

My wife and I live in a mother-daughter house with my wife's parents. The house was bought jointly by my wife and her mother many years ago. All the utility bills are in my mother-in-law's name.

Here is what I have come up with in terms of proving marital union / proof of residence since we don't have a joint mortgage/deed/utilities.

1) Car insurance
2) Health insurance
3) Joint bank statements
4) Our Driver's licenses that have the same address

Any other ideas?

Also, what can I say if I am asked why I waited so long to apply? My sons were born in 2008 and 2010, and my wife and I both had health issues, and honestly, I Just lost track of time :D

You don't need proof of marital union, because you can apply with the regular 5 year rule which doesn't require that marital documentation. Joint bank statements, your spouse's driver's license, utility bills are not required.

However, you should still bring your sons' birth certificates to the interview, in case the interviewer asks for them.

Thanks jackolantern - I have a follow-up question. In the N-400 application I checked the eligibility box that said "I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for at least three years and I have been married to and living with the same US Citizen for the last three years and my spouse has been a US citizen for the last three years". I guess is was the "at least three years" that confused me - it made it sound like I should still be applying under that category even though I have been a permanent resident for over 5 years.

So should I take marital documentation just in case or can I "correct" my eligibility answer at the time of the interview?

Thanks jackolantern - I have a follow-up question. In the N-400 application I checked the eligibility box that said "I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for at least three years and I have been married to and living with the same US Citizen for the last three years and my spouse has been a US citizen for the last three years". I guess is was the "at least three years" that confused me - it made it sound like I should still be applying under that category even though I have been a permanent resident for over 5 years.
You are eligible for either option, but the 5-year option requires less documentation and is generally the better option unless there are some special circumstances such as extensive travel between 3 and 5 years ago.

When you are eligible under multiple options, you can choose whichever option is most convenient for you, you are not obligated to pick a specific one. A military person married to a US citizen could be eligible for A, B, and C at the same time, which would make them free to choose any of the three.

So should I take marital documentation just in case or can I "correct" my eligibility answer at the time of the interview?
You already applied? You were eligible for both options when you applied, so it's not a problem to ask the interviewer to change it.

When an applicant is eligible for both the 3-year and 5-year options but selected the 3-year, some interviewers will even proactively offer to change it to the 5-year even if you don't ask; the 5-year option is less work for them.

Last edited by a moderator: