Promotion and hike

jollyguy

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I had a quick question on promotions and hikes while the 485 is pending. I have seen many posts here where people have got hikes and that seems to not have problems but I wanted to know what happens if I have got both.

Over the last couple of yrs while my 485 has been pending I have got over 20% hike in salary and got a promotion from a Senior Consultant to a Manager. Any thoughts if this will create any issues? Also what would happen if I moved under AC21 to another company where I would hope to move as a manager as well. Basically my job description is the same except now I do PM as well.

Thanks for your inputs

Idea behind promotion is that there has to be a logical progression with the only difference being expansion of roles.

Unfortunately INS looks upon promotion to manager as being a change in roles, which means that the position would be against your LC. If RFE'ed I would advise you to get a letter stating original job description, failing which, discuss the situation with your lawyer.

The rise in salary is a non issue.

You can have a post like Principal Engineer and still lead the team.

The responsibilities of this post could be similar to that of your
previous software engineer job with the addition of managing
resources.

So you still get to be manager and a hike and still keep US CIS
happy. This might make your climb progressive.

Manager might be a little problem.

Ask your lawyer though.

I agree, with desi-bartender. If you can reject the title change, accept the pay rise and the additional responsibility. I am sure your HR will understand.

Thank you all for your response. I will speak with my lawyer and let you know what she has to say.

Thanks again

Hi,

ALWAYS try NOT TO change anything

Even if you get promoted ( organisation wise), when you send a letter from HR, send it as "software engineer" or whatever your labour was. You can show increased salary which will be understood by INS folks

I know someone :) whose salary incresed 60% from labour to approval time for I485

Good Luck

Ram

Everyone,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I sent an email to my lawyer but have not heard back from her. Will update on this once I do.

But let me ask the second part of the question again. What would happen if I move to another company as a "Manager" rather than a "Senior Consultant".

Thanks

Your question is MOOT! How does it differ in anyway to getting a change in title in your current job? AC21 is not a silver bullet, you still need to go through the motions. You can take a little more risk, but not too much!

Promotion without LC

Hi,

If you petitioned in a category that does not required a labor certification (EB1) does this affect whether or not you can take a promotion?

becky

becky,

EB1 has its own set of norms under which you can apply for EB1 category, as long as those norms are met, I don't think there should be a problem changing jobs. Usually you have to be a researcher or have some sort of special skillset to apply under EB1 and as long as you are still researching or working in that field, you are okay.

jollyguy,

I'd like to know (i.e., if you can tell us) what field you're in and what type of expertise you have to get such good promotions
man! I could use some skill upgrades which will get me some
belated promotions dude.

Share the knowledge (and riches:D ) dude.

Phoenix Saint.

Phoenix Saint,

I am a Peoplesoft consultant. Have been so over donkeys years now and trust me the promotion I have got has been well deserved. I have busted my ass over the last so many years in the US working with ass.... managers who did not know shit. But like everyone here swalled my pride and kept working under them. I hope 2004 is a good year for us and we can be finally free from bondage to BCIS and to our respective employers.

jollyguy,

I completely concur with you. We're the modern day equivalent of freakin indentured servants of early U.S. history. Lot of these "citizens" don't know shit, but are getting a free ride just coz they were born here.

Most of these "managers" are managers because they don't know
shit. They may have two skills though, brown-nosin' and yappin' like they really know something. Forgot, they have two other skills, networking with fellow "citizens" so that they can keep us "foreign workers" indentured and down, AND taking credit for
the good work that "foreign workers" did.

F%$ck! What I need to get is my well-deserved raise and promotion.

I'm with you jollyguy, keep it up.

Phoenix Saint.

PhoenixSaint,

That is so true about managers who dont know anything. But one thing I have seen at least in some of the Goras...they dont know shit at least they will acknowledge in front of you but man can they BS to the clients. I have also seen that the clients like to listen to that BS...talk about baseball, basketball, superbowl any kind of boll and they get so into it. Where we miss out is we go straight to the point without making much PC. We need to learn these soft skills here. NOBODY beats us in delivery but we dont communicate that. I did not for 2.5 yrs and then one day i got pissed and started talking and then demanding and i saw i got what i wanted. So here is what i figure "kismat mein likhe hai .... to nahi milege pakore" so i say speak up and dont keep quiet. Hopefully everyone will get what they deserve.

AMEN

jollyguy,
No shit dude,
I agree wholeheartedly with the essential point you're making and hope you keep climbing up the ladder of success dude.
Yeah, some of these bozos know how to bullshit like they're the mother of all bullshit. I guess that's why they get the real big bucks.

But god knows I've spoken up, I'm not one to take shit from no
f$%ckin' a$$hole. Of course, in Rome do as the Romans do, but it's hard to do, I mean BSing about ballgames and shit man.

On the other hand, if you talk somethin else they don't give a shit. The problem is the culture is so freakin' coarse and f%$cked up here man....

I'd like to know what did you start talkin' and demanding about?
Maybe I can take a page from you book dude.

hang loose dude.

Phoenix Saint.

Phoenix Saint,

I was in a way lucky. I was working on a project and got pissed and frustrated with our HR people as they were creating some BS story about not doing concurrent filing of 140 & 485. I got mad and ranted off in front of my PM who liked me as i was working my ass for on a proj. He was a Gora and somehow he started talking to me about the whole GC process so I told him. He shot off an email to our VP who also is a gora and was close to my PM. He told him the whole story and sure enough my 140 and 485 went in concurrently and the company picked all even my spouses cost...they dont do that.

I then got friendly with the VP and spoke with him and bang he gave me a jump in salary. Then after a few months went back to him and told him I want a promotion as I have demonstrated my value to the company....he supported that and i got it.

Moral of the story u need to have a good base in the company and then start asking and you will get it. Dont be quiet work your ass off but make sure people know that you do work your ass off.

Thanks jollyguy,

More power to you!

The problem I'm facing is that I work hard and I make it known, and my immediate supervisor is a fair guy, but it's the dept head guy that is a redneck and the baggage that comes with it. The thing is it's pretty subtle and hard to pin anything down. The company I work for is pretty big and it's hard to get any other type of exposure. Also, I can't leave just now because I'm in AOS and the market is still not that good.

Any advice?

Phoenix Saint

Phoenix,

you seem like a cool guy....we should hang out sometime if you are in the bay area. I guess if the superboss is an ass... there is not much you can do about it. I dont know what your skill set is but I hope things get better soon. Are you capable of moving under AC 21?

jollyguy,

I'm in Phoenix dude. I guess you're in the SF bay area? If I move to or drop by the bay area maybe we can hang out. What are some good places to see and visit in the bay area? I've only been there twice.

Regarding AC21, what's the requirements for eligibility?

Thanks dude.

Phoenix Saint.

Regarding AC21, what's the requirements for eligibility?

did not understand the question. Please clarify. Hey I was in phoenix for a while in sept-oct on a proj. Stayed at the aiport mariott...it was nice...cambelback mt and all that.