Processing time - SanJose CA

I had talked to 2 lawyers, the first one told me that July FP people are likely to be interviewed in April and the other one told me it could be in June. September is to far off, I am not sure if the local congressman can help in this case.

Any news on San Jose service center processing?

Did anybody get interview letters during april?

Thanks

SJ- Interview Letters

I received mine in April (June interview date), my wife in May (July interview date). We both applied in March 2002 and were fingerprinted in May 2002.

Thanks for the info rpais. Looks like San Jose center is still stuck on march PDs as yet. My PD is in June so there is still hope that nothing has gone wrong.. :)

SJ- Feb Priority Date

I know of 2 people (PD: Feb 2002) who have still not received the INS Interview Letter (we applied in March 2002 and already received our letters)... so it looks like there is no logic/structure to the processing.... but that should not be a surprise...

Hi Guys...

Anybody hear from the San Jose service center yet? Any new interview calls? Pl' post...

Thanks.

SJ (Mont. Hwy Service Center)- Interview Experience

- By-passed the long line and went straight to the entrance
- Passed thru the security check (airport-like)
- Deposited the interview letter (2nd floor, room 219, window 1)
- Had a interview scheduled for 8:30am; was called at 8:40am
- Very friendly interviewing officer- was sworn in:
> info on the application verified
> application updated with the travel that happened after the application was sent it
> was made to write a statement "Today is a good day"
> civics questions asked: what is the constitution; can it be changed; what are changes called; what are the 3 branches of the government
- Was then given a letter that basically said: I passed the English and Civics tests and that my application was approved for citizenship
- Was told that an oath would be scheduled for july (was told there is one ceremony every month).
- Was out at 9am (in 20 mins)!!!
- Excellent experience......... now the waiting starts (for the letter that tells me the oath date).................

Recvd interview letter june 16th, interview august 13th.

PD - 06/2003
FP - 07/2003
Interview - 8/2003

yep..thats right..sorry abt that..
BTW, do you know how long it takes for getting the oath letter if you interview at the San Jose Center?

Did you apply after 4yr +1 day or 90 days prior to 4yr+1 day?
4yr+1 works. 90 days prior to 4yr+1 does not

Originally posted by manish22
My wife had applied in May 2001 under the 4yr 1 day rule (see INS guide to naturalization, page 24). For that she was fingerprinted in aug 2001 but in her interview in May 2002 the interviewing officer was ignorant of the rule and continued to do that even after being shown the INS's own guide. He asked my wife to reapply and we did so in July 2002. This is the failed N400 appliction I was talking about.

PS : 4 yr 1 day rule says that If you are out of US for over an year, you can file N400 4 yr 1 day after the date of your return to US. But it may not work in practice as our experience shows

Hi,

my dates are:
PD: MAR 2003
FP: APR 2003

I am planning to travel to India and Stay there for 3 months. Will it delay my interview data . Any similar experiences?

thanks in advance.
Reddy

Interview - what are the required docs?

Hi,
Some of my friends and their spouses, I and my spouse submitted N-400 in late August/September 2002 and have gotten interview notices for end of August 2003 in San Jose. The interview letter - a form letter - asks us to "bring 1) the interview letter 2) green card 3) any evidence of selective service registration 4) passport and any other documents used in connection with entries into the united States. If copies of a document were submitted as evidence , the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview."

Other than photocopies of the Green Card, we didnot submit any other document with the N-400 application. My spouse and I applied for citizenship after 5 full years of residence and there were no absences from the U.S longer than 4 weeks. We were advised by friends to take proof of residence in the county [such as phone bill, check book etc], copies of IRS returns for the last 5 years, marriage certificate.

The interview letter does not ask for any of the above :) Then how come we need to take the above documents?

Are there any more documents we need? Such as I-20s used for entering the country long time ago -- I don't even have these. My company's attorney who did the GC processing probably has them.

I welcome suggestions!

It seems that even though this board is quiet, a lot of people who come under San Jose district office have recently gotten interviews in late August/early Sept time frame. Good luck to all!

xyzUser

XyzUser...

MY interview letter said the same thing but from my experience that letter is printed by computer. so dont go by that. it all depends on examiner, what he wants to see according to ur A file. i was not asked to provide my wife's birth certificate BUT i was asked to show that, it didnt ask me for tax returns but i was asked to show my last three years tax returns,200-2001-2002.
and marriage certificate... i was lucky that i took all the documents with me in case... and was asked to provide them...

I suggest u take ... last three years or 5 years tax returns, ur passport, green card, marriage certificates, birth certificates ( ur and ur wife's ) any phone bills or bank statements.and selective service registration number... ** if it applies to u **

selective service is one important issue in N 400 interview... if u are age between 18 and 26 year or age u must register.
Good Luck...
Shaky...

xyzUser,

See my post here:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92757&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

You should take every document listed in the Naturalization Interview Document Checklist, that apply to you, and both your birth certificates and driver's licences, recent bills with your home addresses, in addition to that.

It will never hurt you to take more documents than needed. But they will delay your naturalization, and reshedule you for another interview, if there is any document they want, and you can't provide it. I don't think you want to delay your process in the San Jose area.

Also take copies of all documents you take to the interview. You'll provide them when they ask for it.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Interview - what are the required docs?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Here is some latebreaking news.

INS proposes :) INS disposes :(

Exactly 2 days after receiving interview appointment letters for end of August, my wife and 2 of my friends got another letter today saying that the interview has been descheduled due to unforeseen circumstances and that we will be notified later. Just a form letter!

While browsing other threads, I came across similar deschedule notices although this was in Jan/Feb 2003 - supposedly due to background checks not being complete and/or files not being transferred to district office from service centers.

So, the waiting game starts. Has any one else received such notices for San Jose interviews in the recent past? How long did it take to get the interview re-scheduled?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be kidding!

This can't be for real!

Yes, you are right, there was a "wave of interview de-scheduling letters" at San Jose and everybody on this board (and other boards) was under the impression that this was caused by a one-time hiccup, computer bug, a one time deal.

Someone competent PLEASE look at it and stop wasting our money!

By the way, other people whose interview got descheduled eventually received their interview letters.
I wish you lots of luck and hopefully you will receive your interview appointment soon.

P.S. I'm also in SJ but applied only a few months ago....

Today I received the "interview descheduled" notice! Now there are at least 4 such cases in San Jose for late August/ early Sept interviews. I hope the re-schedule notices are just on their way
:)