Processing time - SanJose CA

suresh2002

Filed for Citizenship in Feb 2002 ,
FP in June 2002
changed address from fremont to Sunnyvale in July and got the address change confirmation letter in aug 2002.

I am still waitng for the interview - the case has been transferred from oakland to san jose office as sunnyvale comes under san jose processing center.

Waiting for interview for 10 months

Anyone with similar experience.

I am in a similar situation.
San Jose Service Center
PD - June 6, 2002
FP - July 7, 2002

Moved to another state...
Receive change of address confirmation January 2003.

Still waiting for the interview. Do let me know if you find out anything in this regard.

late

If your move from one area to another & your file is moved from

one office to another it will take longer than regular processing time

My FP was done in July 02, still no info on interview and I did not transfer my case from any other place. Some people who applied in July 02 got their interview earlier this month so I don't know what is going on at the SJ office.

San Jose timeline

Applied in July 02
Interviewed/FP Apr 2 03
Oath Tomorrow (Apr 23 03)

FP was also done in Aug 01 in connection with a failed N400 application

Hi Manish...could you pl' elaborate on the failed N-400 application case? I have a PD date of June 6th, 2002 and FD of July 7th 2002..but still no sign of interview.

Has anybody in the San Jose center gone to the center to enquire abt the status of there N-400? If so, could you please share any info you recieved here.

Thanks.

My wife had applied in May 2001 under the 4yr 1 day rule (see INS guide to naturalization, page 24). For that she was fingerprinted in aug 2001 but in her interview in May 2002 the interviewing officer was ignorant of the rule and continued to do that even after being shown the INS's own guide. He asked my wife to reapply and we did so in July 2002. This is the failed N400 appliction I was talking about.

PS : 4 yr 1 day rule says that If you are out of US for over an year, you can file N400 4 yr 1 day after the date of your return to US. But it may not work in practice as our experience shows

This is really irritating! I have applied under the same (4yrs 1 day) rule...and that too after consulting with a lawyer and talking to the INS officers over phone to make sure that I was eligible. Now I am worried that I might run into the same problem if the INS officer I get is as ignorant as the one you had to deal with :-(...any tips or advice you might have from your experience? This is just ridiculous that the officer didn't accept the fact even after looking at the Guide to Naturalization!!!
What did he say during the interview??

Please advice..

Thanks!

I dont know what else you can do. I had even enclosed the page from the guide that illustrates the rule along with the application.

The interviewer told me wife either to withdraw the application or he would deny. My wife chose to withdraw it. Maybe if it were denied we could have chosen to appeal it. But appeal itself takes over an year and lots of money.

Maybe you can take your lawyer with you for the interview. Anyway hope for the best and maybe your interviewer wont be so bad.

:) Good luck

Manish

I agree with you all. Its sad that an INS or BCIS official could be so ignorant of this law. I am also banking heavily on this 4 year and 1 days rule for citizenship. I guess i will need to take copies of this page from the Naturalization guide when i go to the interview.

apbh123: Could you please tell me when did you apply for ur Naturalization and your time line. When you were outside of US on re-entry permit, did you file your tax returns ? Please let me know how ur interview process goes. My email is rajeshlhegde@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Rajesh

rhegde

My timeline -

PD 06/06/2002
FD 0706/2002

Interview - still waiting.

I was out of the country on grounds of finishing off my education for nearly 2 yrs. I did not have to file any taxes as I had no income.

apbh123:

Thanks for your reply regarding the timeline. Keep us posted about how your interview goes.

In my case also , i was outside US to continue studies in India ..so did not file taxes as i thought it was not needed.

-Rajesh

my sj timeline

This is my sj processing timeline

PD: march 21, 2002
FD: may 30, 2002
Interview date: june 12, 2003 (notice received: april 2003)

San Jose timeline

PD: June 06, 2002
FD: July 17, 2002
Interview: still waiting....

I want to go to San Jose office to ask, do not know whether that helps.

SJ office visit

I went there today, but their software was updating, they can not retrieve my current status on N-400. I have to go there on another day.

SJ office visit

I went there again this morning, they told me all interview schedule were full in June and July, my chance will probably be in September. BTW, we should keep a valid fingerprint until oath, right?