Processing Time in NY/NJ/CT. Which is best?

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
Generally speaking is the processing time for citizenship more in NY than CT or NJ? I live in NY now but am planning to move to either CT/NJ if the processing time is substantially less there.

Someone told me that the wait in NY is 18 months and its 6 months in NJ and CT.

Also the uscis.gov web site says processing time will increase to 16-18 months for people applying after June 2007. Does that mean that when I apply it will take at least 16-18 months in any of these three states?

I know this is all hypothetical but I want to get my citizenship sooner than later so would like to live where its the quickest out of the three options.

Thanks

very difficult to say

Hi,

I know I am not being helpful but it is difficult to say if it will be faster if you change states.

I think if you do not get stuck in name check you should get it within 6 to 9 months. and state would not matter.(although uscis states it may take 16-18 months for people filing after july).

If you get stuck in name check all bets are off. It may go > 2years.

best way is to apply and pray you dont get stuck in name check.

Regards

Pardon my ignorance in the matter. Is name check something random where they randomly pick people and do a name check or is it something everyone goes through?

NY/NJ/CT - Grass is always greener on the other side

Ignorance is bliss in some cases, and it most certainly applicable for anything to do with sarkari procedures :)

Regarding your question, which state to apply. Apply from the state where you have been a resident (for atleast 3-6 months) prior to the application; You will have to ensure that whatever state you are applying you have historical records such as Drivers License, Bank Statements, Deed/Rental Agreement. Now judging by your question, I am assuming that you are no Bill Gates and do not have the aforementioned documents in all the three states.

If you apply from NJ - your interview, oath will be on the same day
If you apply from NY - your interview will be on one day and oath probably 10-15 days later.
For CT - I don't know man...you know its where the rich people live. You tell me.

All of the above go through VSC, so the only difference I think would be the local processing office times (which normally churn out interviews in 1-3 months post VSC processing).

Also uncle SAM does not discriminate, or atleast thats their mantra. Name check is done for everyone. So if your name is Singh, Ali, Mehta, Patel, Khan, Laden, Osama, etc ..it is possible for the FBI records to fetch a partial and/or total hit. In such cases, I have found that utilizing the hand to spank the monkey is very effective rather then cribbing about the prolonged waits. Sarkari kaam sabh jaga slow hi hota hai, chaye woh Bharat hon ya USA.

Pardon my sarcasm, its a NY thing.

PS: Have you considered the implications of the state taxes chief? NY whopping 8%, CT not sure, NJ 5%

Sarkari kaam sabh jaga slow hi hota hai, chaye woh Bharat hon ya USA.

Though it's absolutely true that Sarkari Kaam sabh jaga slow hi hota hai chaye woh Bharat ho ya USA except that in Bharat it's like paisa feko aur tamasha dehko which is not possible in America even though we do hear a few cases of like this here and there.....

Please keep in mind that the local office processing times you see at a given point in time may not necessarily hold for the entire duration of processing. A local office that is fast now (and you make your decision based on that) could slow down 2 months from now. Not to sound discouraging, just wanted to point out another factor to keep in mind.

Kinda reminds me of the highway toll booth lines: each time I select the shortest one, I see other lines progressing faster than mine, and I don't mean in relative but absolute terms. Maybe it's just me!

Good luck with what you decide.

OY