Processing time in Chennai consulate

sivadba

Hi,
I have to get my Visa stamped in Chennai consulate. I m planning to visit India in late Feb. Does anyone know how long it is gonna take for me to get stamping in Chennai?
Thanks

Hi siva,
Unless its absolutely required and there is no way left for you, go for stamping in chennai. otherwise, get it stamped in St. Louis itself.
venky

RE:Stamping h-1 visa

venkie,

My friend at work is going to (Chennai)India to get Stamped.If it is tough there,I will warn him not to go.Do u have any experience there? please let me know.Thanks

Hi Pipladi,
I do have experience in chennai and i am one of the sufferers here, i came here for vacation and got stuck here in India for the last 2 months. You can see my postings and you can find the experience, ask your friend to get it stamped in St. Louis.
venky

Venkie is correct

Ask your friend to get stamp it here only. coz, in india now a days its taking minimum 15-20 days. and may take more time also like venkie said....and if they put u in interview...its headache.

Venkie,

What is the reason for your delay. I am planning to go to India in Feb and get it stamped in chennai.

I work for Sprint and have been for the last 4 years. I have to take my vacation in Feb or else loose 2 weeks of vacation. My experience in chennai has never been pleasent. But I dont have a choice.

Are there any precautions I can take to avoid delay or trouble in chennai.

Please advise.

Bharath

Hi Bharath,
Well, they've forwarded my case to FPU for additional verification. I was also like you and came to India for a vacation and since my visa was expiring and also I changed my employer, i applied for visa stamping when i came here. Unfortunately, I got stuck here coz of the aforementioned reason. Its true that 8 outta 10 cases get through without any probs, but if you happen to be in those 2 guys, you'll have problems and if you are willing to take your chances, try it out. otherwise, i'd advice you to get it stamped in St. Louis.
Good luck
venky

I have got so far 3 visas stamped in chennai and i never had any problem. I just make sure i provide all kinds of documentation like bank statements, tax returns, etc. Nowadays, they also ask for picture of your employer building/office, and directions to that place from prominent locations like airport. I also believe that degree from prominent institutions/ American institutions, or emplyer being one of the well known companies would also make it easy. my cousin recently got her h4 from chennai in 10 days. But ttsvisas.com says it takes 10 working days. I think they have implemented a new FBI background check at chennai consulate (only at chennai in india) which is the reason for the increased processing time.
If you have any weak points in the documentation, then be cautious. Otherwise, you shouldnt have to worry about it.

Hi,

When you provide directions to your workplace from the airport, Is it sufficient to provide a printout of the directions from mapquest or yahoo maps or Do we need to provide more.

Thx,
Bharath

I think printout from Mapquest should do just fine. And its probably better than any other format. I did just that. i am not sure how important it is though, if you are just extending H-1.