processing time for NIW

NIW_new

Registered Users (C)
What do we mean by :
your case will take between 360 and 360 days?
So does it means two years max or one year?
Thanks

NIW_new said:
What do we mean by :
your case will take between 360 and 360 days?
So does it means two years max or one year?
Thanks

Doesn't mean anything. Just some hopeless hope.

GCChaahiye said:
Doesn't mean anything. Just some hopeless hope.

The new processing dates for NIW at VSC jumps to Mar. 03. is it a mistake, or a miracle? if there is no mistake, we will really see some hope!

Is the NIW processing time wrong?

NIW processing time jumped 6 months this update. Are there somecases approved with the RD around Oct. 02? Please share your information. Thanks. My RD 10-18-02.
way

CharlesFellow said:
Did you really mean Nov 2003? or Nov 2002 instead?

I know somebody woud think I mis-typed my RD as Nov2003. But no, my NIW RD was indeed Nov 2003. When I found out the approval online, I couldn't believe it until I received the paper notice by mail.

The processing dates have been very unpredictable. For more about this issue, please check the first article on this site: http://www.murthy.com/mb_pdf/jul3004.pdf. It's from the Murthy law firm, which I hired for my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
to fightforfate1: Hi, do you really mean @VSC, Nov 2003 NIW got approved? If that's the case, you are the miracle!

xyzx said:
to fightforfate1: Hi, do you really mean @VSC, Nov 2003 NIW got approved? If that's the case, you are the miracle!

Yes, RD Nov 2003, approved by VSC. Wish good luck to everybody who's waiting.

fightforfate1:

Could you please post more info about your background? (eg, degree, major, papers and other qualifications) We are trying to do a self petition because the lawyer thinks that it is very very tough for NIW applications now in VSC.

Thank you very much.

fly

Sorry, I didnot make myself clear in my last post. I mean the lawyer (actually Murthy) thinks we are not very qualified but we want to have a try by self petition anyway.

Thank you!

fly

jmxu said:
fightforfate1:

Could you please post more info about your background? (eg, degree, major, papers and other qualifications) We are trying to do a self petition because the lawyer thinks that it is very very tough for NIW applications now in VSC.

Thank you very much.

fly

What is the basis for your lawyer's argument that VSC is "very very tough" on NIW? VSC hasn't been processing NIW for a long time. before that it is believed that NIW is much easier in VSC than in CA and Nebraska.

zyu:

I donot why the lawyer said that. But three years ago, 2 people (1 PhD student, 1 postdoc) in my lab with very similar (or weaker) background as me got NIW approved very easily. However this month, the lawyer thinks I am not qualified enough yet.

fly

Well, guys. The NIW processing date has moved to March,03. I am wondering whether some people with ND around Sept. or Oct.,02 have gotten approved. Please do post your good news to encourage others like us who are still waiting. Thanks.

jmxu said:
Sorry, I didnot make myself clear in my last post. I mean the lawyer (actually Murthy) thinks we are not very qualified but we want to have a try by self petition anyway.

Thank you!

fly

To jmxu, to apply for NIW, please remember one thing that is very important: your work has to be in the national interest of USA. So the key is the nature of your work, not how strong your academic (PhD, postdoc) or professional background is, although the latter is also very important. So I guess when Murthy said you are not qualified, they might refer to the nature of your work, not your degrees.

You may be surprised by how "weak" my background is. I only have a master degree (from a top U.S. univ.), only one conference paper and one conference poster, no citation. I'm doing IT work for a niche market in healthcare industry and I initiated most of the work. Despite of my weak background, I was able to get strong reference letters from several industry heavy-weights who didn't personally know me at all. I also obtained several comment letters (not in the format of refernce letters) from federal government agencies acknowledging the importance of my work. I believe these letters mentioned above made my case successful. In fact, after Attorney Murthy reviewed the case prepared by her staff, she was so impressed by the letters that she asked them to put those letters at front to impress the case reviewer, and I guess it worked.

Anyway, make sure you know what Murthy really meant by saying you are not qualified. And you can always ask other lawyers for second opinion. I first asked another famous lawyer and he refused to accept my case because of my weak background. Then I turned to Murthy firm, and they actually gathered a few lawyers together to discuss whether they should accept my case or not. Eventually they decided to do it and also told me they thought I only had 70% chance to get approved. Later their staff and I worked very hard together on my case. My case was approved without RFE. and I'm really appreciative of Murthy firm.

So, if you think you have a shot, go ahead to try it and try it hard. But make sure you know what you need to prove for national interest.

fightforfate1:

Can you let me know how you can get those strong recommendation letters from people who donot know you and governmnent agency?

My area is biochemistry/genetics of eye diseases, which could be a national interest area (because it is NIH funded). However, my research uses fly model instead of human directly. I donot whether Murthy thinks this is the problem. They simply told us that I'd better wait for two more years until what I did can impact the field more deeply. I just got my PhD a few months ago, had 2 first-author paper published, another one to be submitted this month, 1 invited talk at a national meeting and totally 10 papers and meeting abstracts.

I really appreciate if you can nicely provide some suggestions/advices for me.

Thank you very much!

fly

jmxu said:
fightforfate1:

I just got my PhD a few months ago, had 2 first-author paper published, another one to be submitted this month, 1 invited talk at a national meeting and totally 10 papers and meeting abstracts.

I really appreciate if you can nicely provide some suggestions/advices for me.

Thank you very much!

fly
Your field of research and experience looks quite ok for NIW. I really wonder why Murty said that, but don't worry about her. Prepare a nice petition and file yourself, though, it requires lot of efforts. There are some DIY kits available, probably you may get help from those.

Hi Fightertiger
Congratulation. Could you share some of your detailed information (for example: concurrent filing or not, your qualification, and the questios in INS reference)? Thanks.

Way