Process to obtain DL in CA Bay Area

OmGV

Registered Users (C)
I am currently using Interim EAD. Applied for EAD to VSC, RD Nov 3, 2003. Still waiting. Recently moved to Bay Area. What is the process to obtain DL?
Should I wait till I get my regular EAD before applying or i 485 receipt is sufficient proof? Please share your expereinces. Thnx.

Just use your Interim EAD.

I did mine at Santa Clara office. They will make a copy of your EAD for file. Bring your current DL. You will need to take a written test.

It will be for 5 years. Hope this helps.

Will they immediately issue DL w/ picture?

Originally posted by TSC Hopeful
Just use your Interim EAD.

I did mine at Santa Clara office. They will make a copy of your EAD for file. Bring your current DL. You will need to take a written test.

It will be for 5 years. Hope this helps.

Thanks much.

Top.

What time should we go?
I live in Foster City/San Mateo. What are the documents needed, other than those specified in the website.
Even though my iEAD is valid till Sep 04, will they issue 5 year DL?

San Mateo

If you are going to San Mateo DMV - get an appointment - it makes all the difference! very quick. I was in and out in no time at all. However, that was pre 9/11!

Doesnt matter when your EAD expires. DLwill be for 5 years. I dont even think they know how to create a DL that is less than 5 years (only refering to California). The card will be sent to you in a few weeks. You will receive a temporary license. Good idea to make an appointment, unless you dont want to wait for next available date. At Santa Clara, the wait was short, even though there are lots of people. I did not have an appointment. Bring all document required according to the website AND EAD.

To be safe, bring also:
Passport
I-485 receipt
H-1b if available

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by TSC Hopeful
Doesnt matter when your EAD expires. DLwill be for 5 years. I dont even think they know how to create a DL that is less than 5 years (only refering to California). The card will be sent to you in a few weeks. You will receive a temporary license. Good idea to make an appointment, unless you dont want to wait for next available date. At Santa Clara, the wait was short, even though there are lots of people. I did not have an appointment. Bring all document required according to the website AND EAD.

To be safe, bring also:
Passport
I-485 receipt
H-1b if available

Thnx for the info.
You got ur DL recently?

Usually DL's are given till your birthday, or 5 years which ever comes earlier. The first time will probably be less than 5 years but the next time it will be for 6 years or so.

CA as such has very lax DMV's that don't hassle you too much for status etc. unlike the horror stories you might hear on the East coast.

goodluck!

Did anyone get the automatic renewal who got his Ca DL on H1 which now had exprired. I am trying to find if they keep track of person's status in the country.

ghost-rider,

Not automatic but I received my renewal notice in the mail, sent in a $24 check and received a driving licence in the mail inside 2 weeks valid for 6 years.

I applied for my first licence on the basis of my H1 and inspite of moving on to AOS, I haven't really gone back to the DMV ever! So don't see how they could have a record of that.

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
Usually DL's are given till your birthday, or 5 years which ever comes earlier. The first time will probably be less than 5 years but the next time it will be for 6 years or so.

CA as such has very lax DMV's that don't hassle you too much for status etc. unlike the horror stories you might hear on the East coast.

goodluck!

Thnx for the info. What do you mean till my birthday? You mean my birth date on the 5th year?