Process for getting PR Status for my wife while being outside Canada...

Aakash28

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I got my Canadian PR Status back in October 2004 - I have never lived in Canada since then as I have been working on H1B status in US - I have also applied for US GC - and it is highly likely that it might get rejected. Now I got married after getting my Candain PR - and my wife is here in US with me on a pending AOS status. So here are my queries -

1) Do I still have a valid Canadaian PR Status? Like the rule says (2 out of 5 yrs) can I be in US for another 8-9 months and still have a valid Candian PR Status?

2) How can I get my wife to have a Canadian PR? Can someone please outline me the steps that Ineed to take? Is there someway I can do this while remaining in US? Also I need her to get Canadian PR before my US I-485 Application gets rejected as otherwise she will have to go back to India.

Experts Please suggest....Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1) After landing in Canada as a PR you can stay outside Canada for 3 years. Therefore if you landed in Canada as a PR in Oct 2004 then even if you do not live in Canada you will remain a PR till Oct 2007. But after Oct 2007 you MUST live in Canada for 2 years to maintain your PR status.

2) How can I get my wife to have a Canadian PR?

Vist the following link and download the Guide to sponsorship and immigration for detailed information about sponsoring your wife :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html

Is there someway I can do this while remaining in US?

NO. You MUST live in Canada to sponsor your wife.

Start preparing the documents to sponsor your wife. In future when you finally decide to move to Canada ask your wife to return to India. As soon as you enter Canada send the application to sponsor your wife.

There is NO minimum income requirement to sponsor your wife so you do not have to worry about getting a job first. New Delhi is the fastest visa post in the world when it comes to sponsoring your spouse.

Thanks a great deal Kenny04. There is another related question - like you suggested that once I decide to move to Canada I will be better off sending my wife back to India and send the application to sponsor her.

1) Once I move to Canada do I need to have a Health Insurance Card or SIN etc. before I could sponsor my wife - But getting a Health Insurance Card can take upto 3 months - I cannot go into Canada to apply for Health Insurance Canada at this stage as otherwise either my US GC Process or Canadian PR Status might get into trouble. So how would I be able to send the application to her in India as soon as I move to Canada?

2) How much time would it take at New Delhi Embassy for her to get Canadian PR once I send the application to her?

3) Can I bring my parents the same way? Or is there a different process and how long would that process take?

Thanks for all your help.

Hello I just went through the CIC Web site to see the requirements for sponsoring Spouse. But I am still confused about couple of things besides the last query I posted above -

They have'nt asked for SIN or Health Insurance Card - all they need is PR Card which I already have - so does it mean that I do not have to be in Canada in order to sponsor my wife?

Will appreciate if someone can provide me with some info on this.

Thanks

If I live outside Canada, can I sponsor?
If you are not a Canadian citizen, you cannot sponsor if you live outside Canada.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no dependent child of his or her own. You must reside in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf
Sponsorship Guide - Page 13

You do NOT need to have a Health Insurance Card or SIN before you can sponsor your wife.

It take 45 days for the sponsorship application to be approved and then 1-3 months for New Delhi to take a decision on the application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html

Visit the following link to get information about sponsoring your parents.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/family.html

In the case of sponsoring your parents you have to meet the minimum income requirements. Also the process of sponsoring parents who live in India can take approx -

26 to 27 months for approving sponsorhip application, and
27 to 37 months for New Delhi to take a decision

So you are looking at 53 months to 64 months for completing the process.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/family.html

So sponsoring parent s can take almost 4-5 years. What if I become a Canadian citizen in the next 3 years - than how much time it might take to bring my parents to Canada as a PR after becoming a citizen?

It does not matter if you become a citizen, the processing time will remain the same.

To apply for Canadian citizenship you must have lived in Canada for at least three of the four years before applying.

Currently, the total processing time for a routine application for citizenship is approximately 15–18 months (After submitting your application).

Thanks Kenny04 - I understand that it might take me 4-5 years to become a Candain Citizen - but if I wan't to bring my parents only after becoming a citizen - then how much time it's going to take before I can get them over to Canada as PRs?

As far as parents are concerned, same rules and timings apply to PR's and Citizens. It is not like US where the timings may be different.
Best thing for you to do is to move to Canada first and as soon as you start a good job and earn enough you can sponsor your parents.