• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Procedure for rescheduling interview - suggestions

s.brody

Registered Users (C)
Just received my 2nd NL letter, and my interview is in February at the US Embassy in Bucharest, Romania.
However, financial support is a big problem, for now (lack of it, actually) and I figured the only solution would be to reschedule my interview (hoping that by then I would have the necessary money).

What is the procedure for this? Do I contact the embassy? And do get to choose my new interview date?
Can a re-schedule damage my chances of getting a visa? Considering February is quite early in the fiscal year, and let's say I get a second date in March/April.
Btw, is March/April a realistic second appointment date?

Just received my 2nd NL letter, and my interview is in February at the US Embassy in Bucharest, Romania.
However, financial support is a big problem, for now (lack of it, actually) and I figured the only solution would be to reschedule my interview (hoping that by then I would have the necessary money).

What is the procedure for this? Do I contact the embassy? And do get to choose my new interview date?
Can a re-schedule damage my chances of getting a visa? Considering February is quite early in the fiscal year, and let's say I get a second date in March/April.
Btw, is March/April a realistic second appointment date?

DO NOT reschedule for that reason!

Financial support is important, no doubt about it BUT many interviews are conducted without the financial support question EVER being asked. IF it is asked, have a good story ready and if they really have a problem they could put you on AP while you gather the proof of support. So - you have a good chance of going through without it. PLUS you can explain that you will be using the following months before entry to the US to gather the needed funds and you believe it is OK.

However, a word of warning. Moving to the US without some money is a disasterous plan. You had better have some money, or contacts, or a very good chance of getting a job - because if not, life in the US as a new immigrant without money is not fun.

Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna graduate in May/June 2014 from University and intend to entry the US only after that; which is a few months after my visa would be issued. So, the part where "you can explain that you will be using the following months before entry to the US to gather the needed funds" will be plausible.

* What does AP mean ?

Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna graduate in May/June 2014 from University and intend to entry the US only after that; which is a few months after my visa would be issued. So, the part where "you can explain that you will be using the following months before entry to the US to gather the needed funds" will be plausible.

* What does AP mean ?

AP = Administrative Processing. Simply put, they don't approve or deny your visa on the day - the decision is deferred pending some action. In many countries AP occurs while they verify documents and perform checks. Those AP cases can take months. However, other people are on AP for a short time because they are asked to produce a document they don't have to hand.

For one member here (DannyDen) his interview in Moscow ended in AP pending him supplying proof of financial support - basically him finding a sponsor or getting hold of more money in his accounts. Once he shows proof of additional funds, he will then get his visa. THAT is what I am suggesting you do, to avoid the risk that you push back your appointment and knowing that financial support is not always requested. I do NOT normally recommend that approach, but it seems less risky to me than deferring your interview.

One thing, whilst you are on AP your visa number is not reserved for you - the visas could run out. So - time is of the essence.

I just noticed I have made an omission on form DS230, point 30 (List below all places you have lived for at least six months since reaching the age of 16). I haven't included my birth town in which I lived until I graduated from high-school.
(I've mentioned only the city where I'm attending university.).
What is the right thing to do? Contact the embassy?
Also, I will be bringing police records from both this cities. Is that correct?

Some update on my situation. So I choose to call the embassy(Bucharest) and ask for a reschedule of my visa interview date.
The lady who answered was pretty straightforward: she asked for my name and the new date in which I want to attend the interview.
I said mid-April, waited a moment on the phone and she responded that April xx is is.

Also received an e-mail notice from the embassy confirming the new date. Am I right to assume that April is still very much a 'safe zone', in that visas will not run out?

Some update on my situation. So I choose to call the embassy(Bucharest) and ask for a reschedule of my visa interview date.
The lady who answered was pretty straightforward: she asked for my name and the new date in which I want to attend the interview.
I said mid-April, waited a moment on the phone and she responded that April xx is is.

Also received an e-mail notice from the embassy confirming the new date. Am I right to assume that April is still very much a 'safe zone', in that visas will not run out?

Yes, April is safe.