procedure for GC through marriage

vikas_chopra

Registered Users (C)
I am getting married to a US citizen. At present, I am on H1-B visa. I will appreciate if someone can point me in the correct direction to understand this maze of forms, procedures and documents.

- What steps do I/ my spouse need to take to file for my GC.
- After I get married and spouse files for my GC, how long is it that I have to
wait for GC. Till then do I have to work on H1 or there is some interim work
status/EAD
-I may need to travel to my home country. Can I travel once my papers have been filed and are under processing and I am working on interim EAD

- What steps do I/ my spouse need to take to file for my GC.
Your spouse will have to file I-130, immigrant petition for alien relative.
Along with that you should file I-485, application to adjust status to permanent resident. If you no longer want to use H1 to work, you will also need to file for employment authorization form I-765 and Advance parole ( for travel bakc to US) I-131. If your h1 is valid, you can continue to work on H1 and don't have to spend money for Advance parole and EAD.

- After I get married and spouse files for my GC, how long is it that I have to
wait for GC. Till then do I have to work on H1 or there is some interim work
status/EAD
It can take anywhare between 1 to 2 years for you to get GC.

-I may need to travel to my home country. Can I travel once my papers have been filed and are under processing and I am working on interim EAD.
If your H1 is valid and you have a valid h1 visa, you can continue to use it for travel.

Thanks for the prompt reply

I no longer want to use H1 to work

Assuming paper work is in order, approximately how long and how much does it cost to obtain
-Employment authorization form I-765
-Advance parole ( for travel back to US) I-131

Any insight will be appreciated