Procedure for Child's Citizenship

Sansu

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am currently processing citizenship for myself. My family lives outside US and are valid green card holders.

I was eager to know the process i have to follow to get citizenship for my son. I will become a US citizen soon (well hopefully :) )

As per my understanding, ones i become a US citizen, all i have to do is apply for my son using the N600 form. I have to submit my certificate and his birth certificate as evidence.

Is there anything else, i need to do ? Also is it necessary for my son to be in US when i submit the N600 ?

Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I am currently processing citizenship for myself. My family lives outside US and are valid green card holders.

I was eager to know the process i have to follow to get citizenship for my son. I will become a US citizen soon (well hopefully :) )

As per my understanding, ones i become a US citizen, all i have to do is apply for my son using the N600 form. I have to submit my certificate and his birth certificate as evidence.

Is there anything else, i need to do ? Also is it necessary for my son to be in US when i submit the N600 ?

Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

First, IF, after you get naturalized, your son qualifies for derivative citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act, THEN filing N-600 will be optional and he could apply directly for a U.S. passport.

Basically, he will need to be under 18 at the time of your naturalization oath, reside in the U.S. in your physical custody and to have a green card.

It looks from what you write that your son lives abroad which may present a problem here. The best thing would be if he can come and live with you, at least for a while, and apply for a passport (and, if you like, N-600), while he lives with you.

There is an alternative naturalization procedure for children of U.S. citizens if these children reside abroad, by filing form N-600K. Unlike form N-600, the form N-600K requires an interview and a naturalization oath for the child. As far as I know, however, the child must be residing abroad in physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent in order to qualify for filing N-600K. So using that option would involve you moving abroad, at least for a while, and living with your son there until his citizenship is approved.

my son does have a valid GC. He is below 18, Does he have to be in the US to apply for US passport ?

my son does have a valid GC. He is below 18, Does he have to be in the US to apply for US passport ?

Basically my understanding is that yes, he has to be in the U.S. and to be in your physical custody in order to apply for a passport if he is making a claim to derivative citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. This means that you would actually have to come to a passport facility (usually at a post office) together with him, bring his birth certificate and his green card and your naturalization certificate.

They may also want to see other things such as your marriage certificate, but I am not sure about that.

The child citizenship act FAQ only says that:

The child must meet the following requirements:

* Have at least one American citizen parent by birth or naturalization;
* Be under 18 years of age;
* Live in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent; and
* Be admitted as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence.

I think that if you bring your son a few days before you naturalize and he enters the country on green card you can go with him (you might need to bring your wife too) to a post office and apply for a US passport for him, and also apply for N-600. However, USCIS might be more strict on residency requirements. I am not sure. I would think that a passport showing admission to US on permanent resident status (green card) a few days before the parent naturalizes that would be fine.

On the other hand, why don't you bring the family to live in the US? I don't understand people wanting to naturalize and obtain US citizenship for the family but not wanting to live in the US and get the family grow with US values of democracy and liberty. I am sure that will only fuel anti-naturalization sentiments down the road. Canada already modified its citizenship law because there were too many Canadians living abroad with no ties to Canada anymore.