problem with driving licence (US is nuts)

robi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have problem with driving licence for my son, who
is like me a I-485 applicant. They need a proof of
that he is a legal alien but his visa H4 expired already
and I-94 too. They say I-485 receipt notice is not enough!
(By they I need MV and SSA)
This country is more stupid then I thought in the first place.

Any advice what a proof of legal alien I can get???

Get a letter from your lawyer, show them your drivers liscence or try another office. (my 2 cents).

I fully endorse your comment that this country is stupid, including its president.

For example : The DMV asks for insurance when you go for your liscence. Why should you have insurance if you dont have a car?. Go to buy a car and they will ask for your drivers liscence. You dont have a drivers liscence so how can you buy a car? The list goes on. and on...

Hope you succeed in some way or the other.

vashi,

The first one is stupid. Why should u have insurance to have a drivers license.

But the other one is valid. You are buying a car, so you better have a licence

DMV does not understand 485 application etc. They typically need some kind of document with date etc- AP/EAD etc . Try the local BCIS office and get some kind of a clarification in writing. I don't know if they would give it and how?
HTH

Originally posted by robi
Hi,
I have problem with driving licence for my son, who
is like me a I-485 applicant. They need a proof of
that he is a legal alien but his visa H4 expired already
and I-94 too. They say I-485 receipt notice is not enough!
(By they I need MV and SSA)
This country is more stupid then I thought in the first place.

Any advice what a proof of legal alien I can get???

What state are you living in? Different states have different policies and also there are bills in Congress wrt Driving License. See below link (posted by others also).

http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/index.htm

Note: I am in PA. One of eleven states with the harshest DL policies. Recently I received a letter from my insurance, threatening me that if my wife does not get a DL in a month, they will cancel my insurance too! They said is a PA law. My wife had difficulties even with EAD to be accepted.

Hello,
My wife had the same problem last year in NJ (I do not know of other states), and had to refrain from driving to/from work for a few days, upon receiving a letter of suspension from DMV.

With many calls to NJ DMV Support Center, we learned that there was indeed a memo issued for people like us -no new visas as they are pending EAD and i-485 approval, with the receipt showing an estimated response date: Federally your presence is authorized, however DMV does not know/care. We were not lucky at the first visit, as the particular officer & his supervisor had not read the memo.

Then at the same center in Wayne (Rt. 23) we were guided to speak with a "Mary, the Manager", who helped us with another officer who HAD read the memo (tough luck, she could've been the one attending to us in the first place!) and they issued a DL based on the estimated processing time written on the receipt. Upon receiving the EAD, we had to go back & renew it.

i.e. Call your DMV center repeatedly until you find someone familiar with the in-between cases. There should (must?) be something in your state too, since you are "federally" here on a legal status.

Good luck.

... further note: the BCIS would not issue /provide any further documentation, since they explain that as far as the immigration is concerned, your receipt shows that you are authorized to be here, and that is the only document they'd issue.

A detailed letter from your lawyer (related law is I think spread over quite a few regulations) may perhaps help.

Re: Re: problem with driving licence (US is nuts)

Hey Cinta,

I thought I remembered you mentioning that after the Inquirer published your story, someone from PennDOT contacted you to help with your wife's license? I would have expected it to have been smooth sailing for your wife after that. Did it continue to be a hassle after that?

K
Originally posted by cinta

Note: I am in PA. One of eleven states with the harshest DL policies. Recently I received a letter from my insurance, threatening me that if my wife does not get a DL in a month, they will cancel my insurance too! They said is a PA law. My wife had difficulties even with EAD to be accepted.

our experience

My wife and I had gone through great trouble to get her a driver license. Our application is still waiting in the local RMV (in Massachusetts, we call it RMV).

My wife was on I-485 waiting list (02/02 RD). Went to RMV in August last year, they would not give DL without SSN. Went to SSA, they would not give SSN without EAD. It took us several trips to both offices until we met someone who knew what I-485 and EAD are, and what steps to take.

Applied for EAD in September, didn't get it until mid-December. Still we considered ourselves lucky.

Went back to SSA, and got the SSN with no question asked.

Went to RMV again with the SS card, they took our paperwork but told us that they need to do some background checking with BCIS. Specially, they are waiting for someone in BCIS to call back and confirm my wife's status.

Since it was during Xmas time, no one in BCIS ever made the phone call back to RMV. We checked again after new year's holiday, RMV told us they had sent the paperwork to BCIS office in Boston, and they were still waiting for the phone call. They promised to call us back when they hear from BCIS.

As of today, we are still waiting.

As always, BCIS is a big speed bump on everything we do. But what else would you expect? We are still lucky that they are not making a "preemptive strike" and kicking us out of the country!

Long live the American Empire! Long live King George II!

Re: Re: Re: problem with driving licence (US is nuts)

Originally posted by PhillyKP
Hey Cinta,

I thought I remembered you mentioning that after the Inquirer published your story, someone from PennDOT contacted you to help with your wife's license? I would have expected it to have been smooth sailing for your wife after that. Did it continue to be a hassle after that?

K

Not a hassle; she has to pass the written test.

Thanks guys,
I live in NJ. Yes my son can have EAD but so far he didn't need
since he is at school. But probably the best way is to apply
for it. My case is from RD 04/27/02.
So far I thought that is better to be AOS applicant then have a
Visa, but now it looks like we all are out of status waiting
for approval. In SSA they told me to wait antil approval...very funny...