Problem in PCC

amolnaik

Registered Users (C)
My wife's passport mentions a Pune address while we stay in Mumbai. When she went to apply for the PCC in RPO Mumbai, she was told that she will need to get a change of address done in the passport and a police enquiry would be done which could take upto a month.

Another option was to go to the Pune RPO and get the PCC from there.

The second option seems feasible now considering my interview date is 3rd May but my question is will this PCC be admissible?

Should I try and get the interview date postponed?

amolnaik:

You can get both PCC's from pune. It should not matter coz the PCC issue will be the same just that it would be on commissioner pune or RPO pune letterhead. PCC issued anywhere states that no adverse information was found about the individual which is basically applicable for that person in that country. So it will be acceptable but make sure you get the 2 pcc;s. There is no option to not getting pcc;s.

kd1403:

Does the PCC have any reference to the address of the individual? I know you have mentioned that it is just applicable for the person in that country but just wanted to confirm.

amolnaik:

I am not sure how the pcc's issued in india look like but I am assuming that they should be similar to the ones issued by indian consulates in usa which is what i had. Here is what the indian pcc should look like on the issuing authorities letterhead:

"In regards to Amol Naik, son of (Father name), born of xx/xx/xxxx holder of passport number xxxxxxxxx, there was no adverse information found causing reason for not issuing visa"

Above are the words more or less that will show up in the pcc. It is about 3-4 lines and a date stamp of issuance and signature of the authority.

amolnaik

I got PCC from Mumbai police and that had the wordings similar to what kd said. However you may have to get it from Pune Commissioner's office.

Mumbai police HQ controls the process - one has to apply for and collect the PCC from HQ. But your "file" is with the local police station that governs your residence. All inquiry is also done by the local police station and that report is sent to HQ which then issues the PCC.

So I think you are correct that you should try and get it from Pune Commissioners office and not wait for the "process" to work through Mumbai RPO - time is limited. If RPO in Pune can get it faster than the Police HQ, that might be worth trying. You can show one PCC to get the other one even faster..

If you feel that you will be unable to get PCCs before the interview, asking the consulate to postpone the interview will be the wise thing to do.

Hope this helps and good luck.

KAT02.

amol:

I totally concur with Kat02 that only if you are unable to get 2 PCC's in time for your interview only then reschedule your interview. You will be allowed to return for interview any other day of that interview month between Tues-Frid except holidays based on your original appointment letter.

kd1403:

I had read somewhere that the interview date gets rescheduled to atleast 2 months later. Has that changed now?

If what you are saying is true
1. How many days before do I need to let the consulate know that I may not be able to attend?

2. Do I need to go personally to the consulate for asking permission to come at a later date within the month?

amolnaik:

I had read somewhere that the interview date gets rescheduled to atleast 2 months later. Has that changed now?

Answer: Tthe 2 month rescheduling is true if the reason is incomplete documentation where documents are in usa but since your documents (PCC) would be in india you could go into the consulate any day of that interview month with all required documents including PCC. BUT you need to inform the consulate in advance.
==============================================

If what you are saying is true
1. How many days before do I need to let the consulate know that I may not be able to attend?

Answer: AS soon as possible. I would advice to to inform them the moment you are sure that you are not getting the PCC's in time. There no one correct way to infomr them in such scenarios. So if i were in your spot and sure that i will not get pcc's in time for the interview, then I would sent them an email / fax so it is in writing plus personally go to the consulate and inform in advance which could be even the day before.

==============================================
2. Do I need to go personally to the consulate for asking permission to come at a later date within the month?

Answer: REad above.

No need to reschedule..

Amolnaik:

Hi !

After reading the above posts, I think so you don't need to reschedule the interview. If your interview date is convenient to you, then you must visit the consulate on the same day.

About the PCC: (In Mumbai)

We had our interview on the 07th of April, we didn't have a PCC from local police station. This is because when we asked for it, they (guys at the local police station) said that local police station does not issue any PCC. At the consulate, we came to know that CID controls the issuance of PCC after the local police station sends an NOC.

*If you don't have a PCC before the interview*:

I would suggest that you visit the consulate for the interview. They will not give you visa until you submit your PCC. They will interview you, and complete all the formalities. You can visit the consulate any other day, submit the PCC and get your visa.

Best of Luck :)

An update on my PCC:

Went today to the RPO, Worli. There are 2 queues for Misc. services (ECNR, PCC etc). To make sure that we have the proper documentation with us, I went to the 'Facilitation Counter' desk. They charge Rs.10 per case to check if you have proper documentation based on your requirement (Amount charged differs based on requirement (ECNR,PCC etc)). Here's what the person suggested.

I have a passport issued in Mumbai before 1997 but with an old address. The documents needed:

1. Passport Form
2. 2 Personal Particular Forms
3. 2 Self Attested Copies of Ration Card (it holds my new address and lists my name).
4. 2 Self Attested Copies of my passport

My wife has a passport issued in Mumbai after 1997 but with a Pune address. The documents needed:

1. Passport Form
3. 2 Self Attested Copies of Marriage Certificate (lists her Pune address and our Mumbai address)
4. 2 Self Attested Copies of a Letter from the society indicating she has been staying at the Mumbai address.
5. 2 Self Attested Copies of Passport

When we went to the actual counter, the lady just took the following documents.

For me:
1. Passport Form
2. 1 Self Attested Copy of Ration Card (it holds my new address and lists my name).
3. 1 Self Attested Copy of my passport

For my wife:
1. Passport Form
3. 1 Self Attested Copies of Marriage Certificate (lists her Pune address and our Mumbai address)
4. 1 Self Attested Copies of a Letter from the society indicating she has been staying at the Mumbai address.
5. 1 Self Attested Copies of Passport
6. Original Letter from Society

We paid Rs.600 at the next counter (300 each) for the PCC. The guy asked us to come tomorrow at 4PM to collect the PCC.

In conclusion, for all those who may have similar problems, it is always better to be "armed" with documents mentioning your current address. Documents which are normally accepted by RPO are
1. Ration Card
2. Letter from society
3. Bank Statement (account should have been opened atleast a year back)
4. Telephone Bill in your name (mind you only landline telephone bill!!)

Documents which may list your current address but *may* not be accepted by RPO
1. Marriage Certificate (could be used along with one of the above as additional proof but not alone)
2. Cell Phone Bill
3. Credit Card Bill

I am hoping there are no more complications tomorrow. Will update once I get the PCC.

Forgot to mention...

We both had valid visas (B1 for me and B1/B2 for my wife). The lady at the counter specifically asked us if we had valid visas and she stamped on our forms indicating we have valid visas.

We think this could have been another point which can facilitate the PCC process.

anolnaik:

This is great information for those folks pursuing PCC from Indian RPO. Do keep us posted of any updates related toyour PCC.

Got the PCC for both of us. Took 5 min..no problems. Now, for the PCC from the Local Police station..will update you all on that soon.