Problem after Passport stamping

snshah

Any one in the same boat. I stamped my passport in March. I went to social security office to update my ss card in May. Surprise they don't have my updated record as "Permenant residence" it is still showing as temp worker(H1). My wife and Son has updated record so they changed their SS card.

They told me they will send it to INS to find out and it may take upto 60 days.

Any one has same problem. How do I contact congressman in Ohio. Please help.............

I had the same problem. I got stamped in march and applied for ssn in april.My status as permanent resident was not updated so they took a xerox copy of my ssn and told me i'll receive a card in couple of months.I received a new ssn within 3 weeks with wordings "allowed to work with ins pemit". I again went to the social security office and reapplied.They said by mistake they sent the old card.This time they gave me a letter stating that i have applied for new ssn.Yesterday after 3 weeks i received the ssn card.

Oops!

It is pretty confusing. I didn't know that one has to re-apply SSN. If one changes his SSN after green card approval then he gets a new number!... What happens to all your records.. and credit histories that one has accumulated? Starting from Banks,employer etc., lots of things will get screwed up! If they update your old SSN with new status then it will be ok.. Can someone clarify on this?

Nebraskan.

Nebrascan

One does not get a new SS Number. All you get is a new card with the old Number but without "Authorized to work .... " on the SS Card.

Hope this helps.
GS

The point Earned on SSN

Hi all,
Do we loose all the points IN SSN we get after gettign GC. Since we were pointing in last 4 years. what will happen to social security benefits points.?

Thanks
Will couting start again?

All you get is a new SS card. The SS# stays the same. The reason for getting a new card is that right now with H1B you have "Valid for employment with INS authorization" written on there. After you get the GC, this notation is removed.

It is not really required to get the SS card changed, but it is a good idea becasue you can use this new card for employment when you fill out the W4 in addition to your driver's license. You don't need to carry around your GC for employment purposes.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info that you had same problem and you got it finally. That is good news.

Since this guys are using one central database it is very imp to update the record.

SS number remains same for the life only we get new card which doesn't say any restriction on card.

I am hoping to get mine resolved soon. It still is showing as H1 and it does affect if someone wants to take big mortgage loan.....

Thanks once again.