Priority dates

california_6_1

Hello,

I would appreciate, If someone please takeout a moment to answer to my following question:

Well i got married back in December 2003 and filed for my wife's immigration on August 30, 2004 ( i was naive not to file it earlier) But I received a receipt number on May 2, 2005 stating the application has been approved.

When i see the current dates under processing, it lists as 1 January, 2005 as the current processing dates. Therefore should i assume, my number is going to be called soon?

I've very limited knowledge on this and therefore having hard time in understanding the process. could someone please advice on this?

Many thanks in advance.
Cali

Help people help you by answering some questions:

1. Are you a lawful permanent resident or a citizen of the United States?

2. What forms did you file in your application? Was it just the I-130?

Hello QDude, I would like to thank you for taking out the time in answering to my question.

Now here's the answer to your question:

I'm a Permanent resident of USA.

Yes I filed the I130 application form.

If you need to know any other thing, please do let me know.

Thanks again,

Looks like u r talking about the processing time of the service center and probably its california.
Here are the steps that is invlolved in your case:

1) Approval from the service center.
2) NVC processing.
3) Consulate processing

Well after the approval of your application you need to see your PD in the visa bulletin if its current or not.
After approval of I-130 the case is then sent to the NVC. I am not sure that NVC or the consulate will hold your case until the PD will become current.

In your case since its family based you need to see what PD you fall in and act accordingly. Right now I can see its somewhere around April 2001 so you might have to wait for around 4-5 more years.

Good luck.

california_6_1 said:
Hello QDude, I would like to thank you for taking out the time in answering to my question.

Now here's the answer to your question:

I'm a Permanent resident of USA.

Yes I filed the I130 application form.

If you need to know any other thing, please do let me know.

Thanks again,

You need to check the visa bulletin. Here is the link:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2771.html

This visa bulletin tells you that the visa number is available for the people who have the PD before the cut off date as given in the bulletin. Check your category and see the cut off date. If your PD is before that then you can get the visa otherwise you have to wait until your PD becomes current.

The dates you are checking is the service center processing time. You dont need to check that now as your case is approved by the service center and now its in NVC. Give a call to them to find out the status but I am pretty sure that you have to wait for another 3-4 years depending on the PD of your case. This date is mentioned on the notice of approval and also in the receipt notices and PD is abbreviation of Priority date.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck.

california_6_1 said:
Hello Kamran,

My I-130 got approved and my file was sent to NVC. The PD what i see on NVC lists as 1 January 2005 as the current processing dates. Here's the link to that:

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/Processtimes.jsp?SeviceCenter=California

Also where do you see April 2001 as the current date?

I've waiting for 2 years now and was curious to know as to whats the average wait time for this application?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
kamrans said:
You need to check the visa bulletin. Here is the link:

This visa bulletin tells you that the visa number is available for the people who have the PD before the cut off date as given in the bulletin. Check your category and see the cut off date. If your PD is before that then you can get the visa otherwise you have to wait until your PD becomes current.

The dates you are checking is the service center processing time. You dont need to check that now as your case is approved by the service center and now its in NVC. Give a call to them to find out the status but I am pretty sure that you have to wait for another 3-4 years depending on the PD of your case. This date is mentioned on the notice of approval and also in the receipt notices and PD is abbreviation of Priority date.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck.

Kamrans,

Would you kind enough to explain how to understand the Visa Bulletin you listed in your post:

For example, an person is coming from India, married to a USC, file I-130 and I-485 last month, and get ND this month. From that Visa Bulletin information, he or she wont's be able to AOS until 4 year later (FY 2010) because current cut off date for Family-Based 2A preference is Feb 8 2002. Am I right? Please help me to understand how to read Visa Bulletin. Thank you so much for your time and considerations. :confused:

wenxing

wenxing said:
Kamrans,

Would you kind enough to explain how to understand the Visa Bulletin you listed in your post:

For example, an person is coming from India, married to a USC, file I-130 and I-485 last month, and get ND this month. From that Visa Bulletin information, he or she wont's be able to AOS until 4 year later (FY 2010) because current cut off date for Family-Based 2A preference is Feb 8 2002. Am I right? Please help me to understand how to read Visa Bulletin. Thank you so much for your time and considerations. :confused:

wenxing

Married to USC - does not have any quota limitations. They come under Immediate Relative Category for whom the visa numbers are available right away, processing time is the only factor for the completion.

You said that you've applied for I-485, does it mean she's already here in US?
But at the same time you are looking into Visa Bulletin which is relevant for the overseas applicant. Either way, Visa bulletin is not right source for you.

Immigration Visa Number

needurhelp,

Thank you for answering my post. I am still not quite understand about that. Married to USC could have two ways to apply for their LPR, one is AOS (one is already in the U.S.), another is CP (one is still outside of the U.S.). Based on what you explained, the immigration visa number for AOS are immediately available, but for CP are not, I am confised about that.

Second, from my understaning of Visa Bullentin if an India student married to USC (FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES) will be second preferences A, that is Feb, 8, 2002 is cut-off date ( current), which means it's almost four years behind schedule, so could I reach the conclusion that in year 2010 that India student could AOS.

Third, F-1 visa is non immigration visa, that number is not immigration visa #, does that mean everyone need follow the visa bullentin, especially for that 4 country (China, India, Mexico, and Philippines)

If possible, could you explain the above puzzles for me again, thank you so much for your time. :confused:

wenxing

245 (i) UN or anybody Pls help me.

I am filed under 245 (i) My I-140 was approved (after denial) and finger print was done, my priority date is ofcourse April 2001.

Like everybody in this thread I am also worried too much about priority dates, visa availablity etc, my husband and my second son are with me but I did not see my son and my mother back in India for the last 7 years. I would like to visit them. But what are my chances if I get my advance parole, go and come back. Any input please. This uncertainty is too much. and if the outcome is bad what is the point of waiting.

Also I know many 245 (i) cases were approved in 2004-2005. If you count them it is many and I am sure we do not have to wait for many years to get approved. But...... who knows it can be an excuse to get our cases delayed.

Pls help me.
rgds
Rainu

If you do not have any status problem, AP is fine.
If you have any status violation, AP will not help you reenter the U.S.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
wenxing said:
needurhelp,

Thank you for answering my post. I am still not quite understand about that. Married to USC could have two ways to apply for their LPR, one is AOS (one is already in the U.S.), another is CP (one is still outside of the U.S.). Based on what you explained, the immigration visa number for AOS are immediately available, but for CP are not, I am confised about that.

You are right. CP - outside of US and AOS - within US.
Either way, if the student from India is married to USC, that person does not come under any VIsa Number limitation. Visa Number is available right away for them for both the processes (AOS or CP).

Second, from my understaning of Visa Bullentin if an India student married to USC (FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES) will be second preferences A, that is Feb, 8, 2002 is cut-off date ( current), which means it's almost four years behind schedule, so could I reach the conclusion that in year 2010 that India student could AOS.

As explained, Student married to USC comes under Immediate Relative Category - No visa number limitation, CP or AOS.
Go thru this Link
Info for USC

Let me know if you have any more Qs

hi everyone! My PD is sept.1996 and i'm under F2b category. As of Feb. 2006. Its Jul. 1996. I wonder how long will it still take before i hear from the visa center regarding the interview date? Any inputs anyone?

Thanks alot!

sindra said:
As soon as your PD becomes current you will be sent your interveiw package.

thanks ! Cause i was just wondering mid last year, we were asked to accomplish the documents needed for the process of our papers and sent it over to the visa center. They told us to just wait for the medical and interview date .
I just hope the process for priority dates gets to move faster in the coming months.

thanks again!