Priority date(PD) and its effect

gc_ssr

Registered Users (C)
Hi I would like to know the effect and influence of the PD. I understand the issue, But we always talk about the filing date and the Priority Date. But not sure which one triggers first.

Say for example take the following cases:

1. I140/485 filed june 2004 and the priority date june 2001
2. I140/485 filed Aug 2004 and the priority date Mar 2001
3. I140/485 filed june 2004 and the priority date Sept 2001

From the above examples, which one will be processed first. Considering all the above case are filed in same service center (say CSC), same Category (eg: EB2- concurrent) etc, etc.

I know lot of people in this group have a very good idea and must have discussed before.ut I could not find it with search and this will be very helpful to understand the scenario.

Can some body shed some light on this questions.

My take

If you find answers to these questions, you will have solved one of the enduring mysteries of the inner workings of INS.
Anyways, here's my opinion for what its worth. For I140 I don't think it really matters.
For I-485 it matters a hell of a lot more. Infact, PD may be the only date that matters. My evidence is based on my own dates and the approvals I have seen around here.
But then, as I said, its a mystery.

Yes, I belive what you mentioned is correct. I am not sure about 140, but when it comes to 485, they will work on the cases on that month or period(typically- also as you mentioned, there are always mysteries) if that particular case's PD is current. if not they will skip it and will be processed when the date is current.

I was reading some where, in order to file 485, the dates needs to be current and in order to adjudicate the case(485), then also the date needs to be current.

correct me If I am wrong

But looking at the recent approvals, I believe that the cases are getting approved (1-140 and I-485 ) based on priority dates. However we do have exceptions like people getting I-140 approvals in 2 weeks time. But looks like the majority is based on priority date. But then its my guess. Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Shyla