Previous CRBA/ SSN Application Etc

lmgraphics4u

I was born in Canada to an American mother and Canadian father. At the time of my birth my parents were married and she had received her landed immigrant status in Canada. They separated when I was 2. Her and I moved to Cali. where she was from. It was at this time that I was issued a SSN. Some time later she and my father got back together and we moved back to Canada. In 1991, they had been separated for approx. 6 years and she returned to the USA. In 1991, I had tried to cross the USA border and was stopped due to lack of paperwork. I was put in a foster home until my mother sent documents. (which documents I don't know) I was then put on a bus and sent to AZ where she lived. I have been living in the USA for 15+ years. I work, pay taxes, have a drivers license etc. I am trying to go to college but when filing for federal student aid it said I was ineligible due to my Canadian citizenship. I don't know how to track down the information i need to prove that I'm allowed to be here.... Please Help
ps. Both parents are deceased so they are no help

You said CRBA in your title but you didn't mention anything about CRBA in your post. Did your parents ever apply for a CRBA for you? Regardless of whether the answer is yes or no, the step for you to take right now would be to apply for a US passport. However, the evidence you would have to present would be much simpler if they had ever gotten you a CRBA. Otherwise, you would have to present evidence that your mother met the conditions to pass citizenship onto you at birth.

Based on your description, you must have been born between 1952 and 1986. Since you were born in wedlock, you would have gotten US citizenship at birth if your mother had been physical present in the US before your birth for a cumulative total of 10 years, including 5 years after she turned 14. If they never got you a CRBA, you would have to find the evidence of your mother's physical presence now (plus proof of your mother's US citizenship at the time of your birth).

Hi, Thanks for responding... I was born in 1974 and I am unaware if my parents filed a CBRA. However that brings me to question how my mother would have obtained a SSN number for me if she hadn't. Or does one not have to prove anything when applying for a SSN for their child?

Hi, Thanks for responding... I was born in 1974 and I am unaware if my parents filed a CBRA. However that brings me to question how my mother would have obtained a SSN number for me if she hadn't. Or does one not have to prove anything when applying for a SSN for their child?
You don’t have to be a citizen to get a SSN, it is available to many types of legal presence statuses.

until my mother sent documents. (which documents I don't know) I was then put on a bus and sent to AZ where she lived.

I am wondering if there is any way to find out what these documents were via a FOIA request.

I think a few decades back they issued SSNs without needing proof of work authorization.

It's possible to request a file search when applying for a US passport if you think you may have been issued a US passport or CRBA in the past.

Apparently. every reply i write is violating some rule here, so, I want to say thanks to all of you. I have filled out my passport app and I guess I will see what happens.

Apparently. every reply i write is violating some rule here, so, I want to say thanks to all of you. I have filled out my passport app and I guess I will see what happens.
Possibly because you are a new member, there are posting limitations to prevent spam.

Please keep us updated on the case outcome.

You don’t have to be a citizen to get a SSN, it is available to many types of legal presence statuses.

I am wondering if there is any way to find out what these documents were via a FOIA request.
Good Afternoon,
So, I applied for my passport again, but they want proof of my mother's where abouts before i was born. I am trying to find school records but that isn't going very well. I feel like i should be apply to request a F.O.I.A. for both my mother's info as well as mine. but not sure what or who the request should be sent too?

I’m not sure the kind of information you’re looking for on your mother would be available on a federal database?
Are you in contact with any of your mother’s family members?

I can't seem to get any of her school records or any proof of her whereabouts before the age of 19. I have an aunt but she disappeared a long time ago and all our other relatives have passed

I can't seem to get any of her school records or any proof of her whereabouts before the age of 19. I have an aunt but she disappeared a long time ago and all our other relatives have passed
Why before 19? It can be any 10 years cumulatively before your birth (just that 5 of them must be after she turned 14). Did she have work records, school records, medical records, etc? Maybe you can hire a private investigator who can try to find more information?

Because between 19-21 she was using a fake name and social
a fake name and ssn inside the US even though she was a citizen?
yes, that would definitely make it hard to prove
what is the issue with the school records, they don’t have them anymore or they won’t release them to you?

what is the issue with the school records, they don’t have them anymore or they won’t release them to you?
Because at 13 she ran away from home and ended up a ward of court in california, then she got in trouble again and instead of going back to juvenile hall she told them she was a woman named linda collins, stated she was 18 and her parents were dead so she then spent the next 18 months in womens prison. When she finally contacted her mom, they released her and sealed the records im assuming to keep themselves from a lawsuit..
so, i did figure out if i can prove i was gramted entry into the us prior to my 18th bday that would be sufficent. Trying to figure our how to do that

so, i did figure out if i can prove i was gramted entry into the us prior to my 18th bday that would be sufficent.
No.

You might be thinking of the provision where children who are US permanent residents (i.e. green card holders), under 18, living in the US with a US citizen parent, automatically become US citizens.

First, this only applied after 2001, after you turned 18, so never applied to you. The previous law required that you were a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder), and both of your parents naturalized to become US citizens, or one of your parents was a US citizen from your birth, and the other parent naturalized.

Second, and more importantly, you were never a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder). Your family never petitioned you to immigrate as the child of a US citizen, because they assumed that you were already a US citizen. And if hypothetically they had petitioned you to immigrate, the consular officer or immigration officer, upon examination of your situation, would have determined that you were already a US citizen from birth, and thus would not have approved your visa. So none of the provisions, current or previous, regarding automatic citizenship for permanent resident children are relevant to you.

No.

You might be thinking of the provision where children who are US permanent residents (i.e. green card holders), under 18, living in the US with a US citizen parent, automatically become US citizens.

First, this only applied after 2001, after you turned 18, so never applied to you. The previous law required that you were a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder), and both of your parents naturalized to become US citizens, or one of your parents was a US citizen from your birth, and the other parent naturalized.

Second, and more importantly, you were never a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder). Your family never petitioned you to immigrate as the child of a US citizen, because they assumed that you were already a US citizen. And if hypothetically they had petitioned you to immigrate, the consular officer or immigration officer, upon examination of your situation, would have determined that you were already a US citizen from birth, and thus would not have approved your visa. So none of the provisions, current or previous, regarding automatic citizenship for permanent resident children are relevant to you.
Okay well the letter I received back from the passport people said that I either need to provide an affidavit from my mom with school records explaining her whereabouts between 5 years before she was 14 and 5 years after she was 14 or it said if I could prove that I was granted entry into the US prior to my 18th birthday that that would be sufficient. When I was 15 or 16 I tried to come to the US to see my mom and tried to cross the US Border in British Columbia without identification they stopped me they put me in a foster home and Chilliwack until the proper documents came up there from my mother in the states then they put me on a bus and sent me to Arizona

Okay well the letter I received back from the passport people said that I either need to provide an affidavit from my mom with school records explaining her whereabouts between 5 years before she was 14 and 5 years after she was 14 or it said if I could prove that I was granted entry into the US prior to my 18th birthday that that would be sufficient. When I was 15 or 16 I tried to come to the US to see my mom and tried to cross the US Border in British Columbia without identification they stopped me they put me in a foster home and Chilliwack until the proper documents came up there from my mother in the states then they put me on a bus and sent me to Arizona
I'm trying to get a hold of those documents now

You must have missed something or they missed something when writing it. They are just covering all the cases where one could be a US citizen, and if someone entered the US as a permanent resident while under 18 now, with a US citizen parent, they would automatically be a US citizen (the conditions back when you were under 18 were more complicated, as I explained earlier). But that has no relevance to you as you were never a permanent resident.

You must have missed something or they missed something when writing it. They are just covering all the cases where one could be a US citizen, and if someone entered the US as a permanent resident while under 18 now, with a US citizen parent, they would automatically be a US citizen (the conditions back when you were under 18 were more complicated, as I explained earlier). But that has no relevance to you as you were never a permanent resident.
So, if I am understanding you correctly there is nothing I can do? When I was in a foster home after trying to cross the border underage, my mom has to send documents to the border people then I was put on a bus and sent to az. Where do I find the documents she sent? Someone from the government knows that I live in Arizona and have for years how do I find out what I need to know.?