Preserve / store Naturalization Certificate

smdk

Registered Users (C)
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

It's valuable and expensive to get another one.
So, what is the best way to preserve / store your Naturalization Certificate?

I have all my immigration documents inside a 3 ring binder, inside vinyl sleeves, and the binder is safely inside a bank safe deposit box.

I would definitely make copies of the Natz certificate and keep them separate, in the event of an earthquake or sinkhole swallows the bank! :eek:

Keep the original in a binder with sleeves, in a bank locker. Also, make a clear color copy and keep it at home in a file cabin. At the same time, make a clear, color scan to PDF file and put it in a palm size external drive that you can carry with you on trips. That's what I did.

Keep the original in a binder with sleeves, in a bank locker. Also, make a clear color copy and keep it at home in a file cabin. At the same time, make a clear, color scan to PDF file and put it in a palm size external drive that you can carry with you on trips. That's what I did.

Can we do this? Is it not illegal? I like this idea of scanning it and storing it in a flash drive........ But remember, you should never ever lose it.......

I have all my immigration documents inside a 3 ring binder, inside vinyl sleeves, and the binder is safely inside a bank safe deposit box.

I would definitely make copies of the Natz certificate and keep them separate, in the event of an earthquake or sinkhole swallows the bank! :eek:

Yes, I have it in vinyl sleeves.

I really enjoy reading all you guys' posts and love all your ideas. But it is extremely difficult to choose the best way to preserve the NTZ cert. Another headache comes.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we do this? Is it not illegal? I like this idea of scanning it and storing it in a flash drive........ But remember, you should never ever lose it.......

This is a common misconception. Copying or scanning the certificate is perfectly legal, as long as you do it for your own lawful purposes. The warning on the certificate only refers to copying, printing or photographing it "without lawful authority".

You can make as many copies as you want, as long as you don't plan to do something illegal with them (like doctoring, photoshopping the document, etc).

You can scan it and put it in an online storage service, email it to yourself, etc.

But it is extremely difficult to choose the best way to preserve the NTZ cert. Another headache comes.
Well, if this gives you headache, then your house must be stuffed with Tylenol or Advil by now because there are more important things in life to worry about. My certificate is lying in the drawer in my house - do I worry that my house might burn down? Yes, but losing the certificate will be the least harmful side effect ;)

Laminate your Natz certificate with the heated laminating plastic using a heat laminator. All my documents are laminated that way ( except SS card). It protects your documents forever.

Laminate your Natz certificate with the heated laminating plastic using a heat laminator. All my documents are laminated that way ( except SS card). It protects your documents forever.

I would strongly advise against that. There was a posting here recently where someone had great difficulties using a laminated naturalization certificate and had to apply for a replacement. You can just put it in a protective plastic sleeve and keep it in a home safe or a safe deposit box at a bank.

Laminating the Certificate of Naturalisation renders it invalid. Nobody will accept the laminated NC - you can as well put it in the garbage. I think the USCIS officials at the naturalisation ceremony should stress more about it.

Laminating the Certificate of Naturalisation renders it invalid. Nobody will accept the laminated NC - you can as well put it in the garbage. I think the USCIS officials at the naturalisation ceremony should stress more about it.

Mine did. She made a point to tell us NOT to laminate it.