Premium Processing for I-485 : How much can you pay ?

How much can you pay for Premium Processing for I-485 ?

• NEVER want to pay even if it would be introduced !!

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • $1,000

Votes: 32 22.5%
  • $2,500

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • $5,000

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • $10,000

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • $25,000

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • $50,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100,000

• $1,000,000

• Total voters
Originally posted by sfbay_area_guy
I'd pay 10K for sure
25K perhaps
Let me rephrase - I'll have my company pay ;)
Can you convince 98.5% of community members that PP fee should be more than $10,000 ?

Kashmir,

Why should I go around convincing people?

I'll leave that to you !

:)

25K for a greencard - freedom to more across the borders - I'd do that anyday. That means I get to citizenship sooner. That means my parents can stay with me with a decent health insurance etc. for as long as they want.

This is all worth it.

Ofcourse the underlying assumption is that people on this forum are "desperate" to stay back in the US.

Admit it why would we visit the forum everynow and then and post so many messages - clear sign of desperation on all of our end - including me !

Hi, sfbay_area_guy,

> Why should I go around convincing people?
> I'll leave that to you !

Sorry but I cannot do that, neither.

> 25K for a greencard - freedom to more across the borders - I'd do that anyday. That means I get to citizenship sooner.

Anyway, we have the same goal.

> That means my parents can stay with me with a decent health insurance etc. for as long as they want.
> This is all worth it.

I don't have my parents to bring here,
but I hope you can do that as soon as possible.

> Ofcourse the underlying assumption is that people on this forum are "desperate" to stay back in the US.
> Admit it why would we visit the forum everynow and then and post so many messages - clear sign of desperation on all of our end - including me !

Now, I enjoy fighting against USCIS.
Actually, it's fun, isn't it ?

Originally posted by kashmir

Not a penny. In fact I understand it is not reasonable
to expect them to return all the money I paid in last 6 years
on taxes, but if they return at least the social security
money I would even consider dropping the GC process
and head home sooner.

-JC.

Originally posted by sfbay_area_guy
Admit it why would we visit the forum everynow and then and post so many messages - clear sign of desperation on all of our end - including me !
Desperation?? :) Come on, that is a little too strong.

I don't know about other people, but my reason for coming here is two fold, one to better inform my self as to the current stage of processing (I find it difficult to be patient without information), and second to help the other unfortunate people who are in the same boat as me, as far as information is concerned.

Offcourse ranting and cursing BCIS with people who understand what I am talking about is a major consideration.

But Desperation? I don't think so!

Kashmir,

That was a good point you made there about INS processing 42,000 cases within 3 months. But I feel even if INS hires 10-20 more adjudicators on a full time bases who will work only on 485 cases, the response time will be amazingly good. Maybe not 3 months but definitely 6 months!

The concept is to increase funds for the INS budget to the extant that they can have dedicated staff and pay competent salaries that there is low turnover. It takes hell of a long time to train someone with all the intricacies of Immigration law and to lose them is a big loss.

I think we should definitely evaluate all possible means to raise funds. Not limited to raising fees. Shooting down PP in an arbitrary manner without a deep analysis of its failings as well as plus points is a huge mistake.

It is not difficult to draw up a set of strict guidelines that INS by law has to follow which will help implement PP in the way it should be.

It is great that you have bought this debate to the front, and it is right that it should be discussed by the entire community to understand all its ramifications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kashmir
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two things clearly emerge from this discussion:

1. BCIS does have a funds shortage, no two opinions about it.
As as aside - who do you think would be pushing our case for more fund allocation (either at the state or federal level) for processing immigration cases - existing citizens who have the voting rights? I guess they could care less. They have way too many propositions to push of their own. Besides, they have little incentive to do so. It's hard for me to imagine existing citizens (well at least some) lobbying on behalf of non-immigrants.

Agreed we pay social security, federal, state, medicare, and various other taxes but that doesn't get allocated into BCIS budget. That's a different story and discussion altogether.

2. Even if we pay a premium processing fee, BCIS' reaction time is still not guaranteed. Kashmir's analysis with the time and labor problem illustrates it well.

Let's keep the H-1B situation in perspective and see what was happening before premium processing. This sounds rhetorical but there's no way you could get employed without H-1B, therefore, time lost is money (read salary) lost. In which case, it proves better to pay an extra amount for premium processing and get the H-1B.

A similar analogy (well, near enough) could be drawn in 485 cases too. Would you rather have your GC by paying extra money for premium processing or do you have the risk appetite to factor in the prospect of losing your job and running around searching for another one based on AC-21 (i.e. if you are eligible)? May be that's the reason why you find over 90% of the folks in the survey agreeing for PP.

Your fundamental question GC via premium processing at what price though, remains valid. I think the survey captures the individual bias well enough. At last count, the largest bucket about 33% was for $5000. It'll be an interesting observation to check what prospective H-1B applicants would be interested in paying to get an H-1B under current situation with 65000 annual cap.