• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Pregnancy,Medical exam and DV lottery interview

Lord Benton

Registered Users (C)
Hello,to all of you
Me and my wife will have our DV lottery interview the next week.
we got a question - A day before our medical exams my wife found out she is pregnant,we went to the hospital where the exams were taken and did everything except her chest X ray.The panel physician said we need written certification from our obstetrician,and she will get temporary exemption.It's ok we have it but we don't know what's the procedure afterwards.
What happens if we go to the interview without X ray.Is it gonna be a problem?Probably we have to do the X ray at our arrival in USA...We just don't know how it works and it seems the panel physician doesn't know too.She sais it shouldn't be a problem.
Anyways if there is someone who could help we will apreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,to all of you
Me and my wife will have our DV lottery interview the next week.
we got a question - A day before our medical exams my wife found out she is pregnant,we went to the hospital where the exams were taken and did everything except her chest X ray.The panel physician said we need written certification from our obstetrician,and she will get temporary exemption.It's ok we have it but we don't know what's the procedure afterwards.
What happens if we go to the interview without X ray.Is it gonna be a problem?Probably we have to do the X ray at our arrival in USA...We just don't know how it works and it seems the panel physician doesn't know too.She sais it shouldn't be a problem.
Anyways if there is someone who could help we will apreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Hello Lord, we faced the same problem during the medical examination. My wife was 7 weeks pregnant at the time of the examination and knowing the hazards that x-ray could cause to the unborn baby, we opted that my wife stays away from taking the chest x-ray. but the physician advised that medical exams without chest x-ray is useless. Because US immigration is more concern with communicable disease than even HIV AIDS. And it is the examination of the chest x-ray which will show that one has an infection such as TB or others or not. The only thing that a pregnant woman could be exempted is taking vaccination in the early stages of the pregnancy. So for my wife for example, they didn't give her any vaccines. But she was made to take the x-ray. x-rays can never pass through lead. so they protected the lower part of her body with a lead apron and took the x-ray. So go ahead and take the x-ray. But go to where you can get better and quality health facilities to avoid any danger.

I do not know where you're now and where you will be having your interview. If you happen to be in the one of the western counties where there is low rate of this communicable diseases, MAYBE, you could be considered but if you're in Africa, I will advice you go for the x-ray. Still do not take some chances! Thanks

Hi Guys,

My wife and I face this very same challenge right now. Our visa interview (DV2011) is scheduled in just over a week in the London US Embassy

We've done our medicals at Knightsbridge Medical and weren't even given the option by the panel physician for my wife to do the chest xray or vaccinations.
They (physicians) were definately not into it.

As far as i am aware this isn't a real problem, you can proceed in the visa process as usual with the expectation that once the baby is born the required tests and vacinations must occur.

I have read on this forum of this being the case also.

AJK

Hello,guys
Thank you for answering my question.So it's really confusing situation and probably we won't do the chest X ray as we know it's wrriten on travel.state.gov that pregnant women get temporary exemption.Just didn't get are we gonna get the visas and later on to do the X ray or we need to wait until it's possible to do the X ray and then to be issued visas.
Wish you luck.

Hi dear friends,

I'm a dv lottery winner 2010 and I got my green card last week. I was pregnant during the interview and medical . My interview was in London. I had just the blood test. No vaccination, no x-ray. On the interview day, they just asked my husband's x-ray and didn't even ask me about mine because it's one of their rules for pregnant women. If you check their website, it has been written that pregnant women can have x-ray after the baby is born in the US. So, don't be worried and even if the doctors forced you to have x-ray, don't accept. They say that it's harmless but who knows? if sth. happens for the baby, you won't never forgive yourself.
Good Luck

Hello
thank you very much for taking time and writing back.I'm from Europe too so I hope it won't be a problem not having X ray.It's probably dangerous to get X ray we asked our obstetrician and she said it's ok but it's actually up to us.As you said we won't forgive ourselves if something wrong happens.It's just two important things in our live going on togheter.We don't wana risk but we want the green cards.We will see.What's the procedure if you don't have an X ray?Should you get X ray after your baby is born?You are saying you have your visa so it means everything went well.Probably later on you need to take the exam in USA...
Anyways thank you again.I will be back here after my interview which is on 13-th.
Cross your fingers guys.

pregnant women do not make Xrays. period. so I do not want to see more asnwers after that. start reading all the condtions.