PR sponsoring F1 Spouse

nbala

Registered Users (C)
Hey I am a legal PR and my wife is on F1 visa. Can I file I-130 for her now? If I do it will it invalidate her F1 status? (or does it invalidate only after I-485).

Looks like it takes about 5 years for I-130. In the mean time will she able to travel outside and back to the US (after getting stamp from the University?)

Thanks in advance.

nbala said:
Hey I am a legal PR and my wife is on F1 visa. Can I file I-130 for her now? If I do it will it invalidate her F1 status? (or does it invalidate only after I-485).

Looks like it takes about 5 years for I-130. In the mean time will she able to travel outside and back to the US (after getting stamp from the University?)

Thanks in advance.

Filing I-130 only establishes a relation. It does not affect her status in anyway and she can travel as long as she maintains her valid F-1.

nbala
A couple of bills are in the house/senate - (S. 1932 ) Do you know if any of the bills allow PR to sponsor spouse with no waiting period (imediate availability of visa)?

I'd be careful about traveling abroad with I-130 filed. Since I-130 is filed, it proves immigrant intent, and therefore, her visa may be cancelled at the POE.

In_durham

Thanks for posting that question. Does anyone know if S.1932 contain any provisions for the spouses of LPRs.. (or is it only all about employment based categories).

I think you have the wrong number, the S.1932 it's a bill to provide criminal penalties for unauthorized recording of motion pictures.