PR for an American Citizen

AKMA

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine has a unique question, he & his whole family has Canadian PR, & he is working here on a H1-b, & is expecting a baby, if he gets a American Citizenship for his child & at a later date wanted to move to Canada, what'll be the hassles at the point of entry or living in Canada with a American child.
Senior/Junior gurus with real time / personal experiences will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Canadian PR and US baby

This is what is going to happen (at least what I saw), if you are moving permanently In Canada from USA.

1)Parents got the immigration on July 2000, came to Canada on January 10th 2001 and then stayed for 10 days and went back. Applied and received RRP for 1 year until January 31, 2002.

2)Meanwhile the baby was born in July 2001

3)Parents Contacted Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles for further instruction and they said that you can take your baby to Canada with out any prior visa and the moment you enter Canada, apply for his PR status on Humanitarian and compassionate ground.

4)The whole family, at the end of their RRP, came to Canada through Quenston-lewiston bridge and at the border immigration agents gave the baby 6 months Visitor Visa with “Not Valid for travel” document.

5)Once in Canada, Parents called Canada immigration center and got 2 forms, one for family class sponsorship and one for humanitarian and compassionate ground sponsorship. (This form can only be given to the families who are sponsoring somebody from and with in Canada).

6)The form with all the supporting documents was sent to CIC in Vegreville, Alberta in Feb2002 and finally the baby gets the immigration in Dec 2002. (Medical examination for baby has to be done with one of the designated doctor.) The whole process is supposing take 6 months but for backlog in application it is taking a whole lot of time.

7)Be prepare to buy expensive medical coverage for baby from one of these private medical insurance company. That insurance is also for emergency coverage doesn’t cover immunization and regular doctor visit. And another points, if you buy the insurance straight from insurance company, by law, they will not provide any more coverage after 6 months as visitor (baby will most likely get the visitor status) you can’t get visitor’s coverage. Buying from agents may help to circumvent that issue.

8)Now if you/your friend decide to stay in USA after the baby is born (as you can do that under new 3/5 year law). You/your friend might contact nearest Canadian consulate office and find out if you can sponsor him and fill up the paper work from USA. Most likely they will not allow you to do that as they (consulate office) will say as the baby is US citizen and need no visa to enter Canada, please go there and apply from there. They might also say that applying from within Canada is faster (which is not true). So be persuasive and try to convince them that it is for the interest of the baby, you need to have his PR done before you go from here (US) to Canada permanently.

Let me know if you need any more info on this as one friend of mine had a real life experience with this here in Canada.

Thanks, Baghi Moloy,
For all your detailed reply about PR for an American Born child, really appreciate your time & patience for your long & detailed explanation & the offer of e-mail address for further query, which speaks clearly that you are always ready to help or give advise, no matter what...
Keep up your good work & u'll be rewarded more than your help, thru unknown sources.
Thanks once again
Keep in touch with your valuable advises..

I am in the same situation. We live in Canada, and since we needed som help during my wife's delivery, we decided to have the delivery done in the US. I called the CIC 3 weeks back, to make sure that we dont encounter any problems at a later date, and was advised, that we will be able to bring the baby into canada as a visitor, and the baby will be granted 6 months stay. I should then submit an application for PR under the Humanitarion and compassionate grounds, by paying C$150. I was also advised, that I need to go and extend the visitor visa status for the baby after 6 months by paying C$75.

Below is the link to CIC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/handc.html

Originally posted by vault
I am in the same situation. We live in Canada, and since we needed som help during my wife's delivery, we decided to have the delivery done in the US. I called the CIC 3 weeks back, to make sure that we dont encounter any problems at a later date, and was advised, that we will be able to bring the baby into canada as a visitor, and the baby will be granted 6 months stay. I should then submit an application for PR under the Humanitarion and compassionate grounds, by paying C$150. I was also advised, that I need to go and extend the visitor visa status for the baby after 6 months by paying C$75.

Below is the link to CIC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/handc.html
[/QUOTE

Thanks vault for sharing info., my friend also called relevant dept. here in US & was told that, if your child is born here & issued a passport, it is the last one, I mean no other citizenship can be taken, if anyone is intersted, then they have to forego th US passport, how far this is true, Iam not sure.
For dual nationality, may be first Canadian/others & the last one should be American, to maintain US status.
Then again Baghi Moloy is right, there are again problems of medical coverage in Canada for a visitor or till the child gets PR.

bagchi Moloy, Vault, and all gurus:

My situation is a little different. We haven't landed yet and are planning to have our medical exam. Meanwhile my baby is due May of 2004. I don't want to apply PR for my child here in the US. I want to go through the process under Humanitarian and
Compassionate. Do I have to inform the consulate/visa post? Will they require us to file a PR application for my child? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Moloy,

My situation is I just received my medicals without a personal interview. My wife is due for baby in March 1st week.

My question is Do I need to tell Canadian embassy about my yet unborn son? I do not want to apply PR for him at this moment as he goes back to india to my parents place and stay there for few years.

If I do not disclose it now, is there any problem in future? If I have to disclose it now, what are the things I need to do.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Babu

Last edited by a moderator: