PP stamping LA - question

coolgirl

Registered Users (C)
Can someone with PP stamping in LA post their experience. When would be a good time to reach the INS office in the morning? Also what documentation do I need to take with me?

Thanks in advance for the info

We had our passports stamped last monday at Santa Ana Office. We reached in the line at 7.15 AM and entered into the building by 9.30 AM. Got the token and been called at the counter at 1.45 PM. So, It's about 7 hours process. I think this is because we joined the line late and by the time our token numbers are reaching, it's already lunch hour. So, I suggest you to go around 5.30 AM to Santa Ana office to get things quickly!!

We took our approval letters (the ones we got in the mail), passport, I-94 card, EAD and AP (both expired).

Hope this helps and good luck

:)

Time
LA BCIS office opens at 7 AM. It's better to go before 6 AM.

Which line?
You will find two lines there. Do not stand on the long long line which starts from the left side of the building. Stand on the shorter line which for only I-485 approval. It's starts from front of the building.

Parking
Take left turn from Los Angeles St to Temple St. You will find a parking lot at right side (on Temple St). That's for $6.00, the cheapest parking you can get there. There are some other parkings at Los Angeles St too.

What documents?
For my case, the INS person was pretty warm and funny. He greeted me with "welcome to INS" and while leaving "thanks you for shopping at INS". He did not ask for any document - except my passport and EAD card. But for one of my colleagues case, they asked for recent pay stubs. Here, the list of documents you should carry. It's an exhuastive list, but it's safer keep them handy. I marked important ones in bold.

1. Passport + I94 (INS will take back I94)
2. EAD card (INS will take back it)
3. Advance Parole (INS will take back them)
4. Marriage Certificate (if married)
5. Birth Certificates or Affidavits
6. Tax return (if you did not file 2002 tax returns yet, take 2001 tax return and 2002 W-2 forms)
7. Recent pay stubs
8. Bank statements of joint account or apartment lease agreement where both names are present (if any. It's a proof that marriage is not fraud)
9. Health cards
10. Drivers Licenses
11. Social security cards

If you are single, you can strike out some of items. You know what are those.

Anything more?
Office opens at 7 AM. That means you will be able to enter into office premise after that. After entering the building you have to go (read "run") 2nd floor and submit the your approval notice to a clerk sitting at the door. Faster you reach to clerk, faster you will get out. It's big building. Do not be confused and waste time. From the front gate, go to right side and catch the elevator. From elevator, at 2nd floor, follow the corridor at right.

BTW, if you do not live in Santa Ana jurisdiction area it's not good idea to go there (as sks2003 suggested). They may turn you back (though it depends on the clerk/officer who is handing). It's better to go to the office suggested in your approval letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need this information but certainly the information provided by pralay is very nice.

Hey guys,

We went to get our PP stamping today (03/17/03) at LA BCIS office. We stood in the appointments line as everyone suggested, but at 7:30AM when it was our turn, they told us that we should not be in the appoinments line, but shoould be in the non-appointments line. The line was so big, that we came back and planning to go tomorrow early morning.
I'm not sure if LA BCIS office just changed their policy about PP stamping, but we asked 3 different BCIS people and every one told us the same thing. They said we have to submit our I-485 in room 1001 and anyone who wants to submit in 1001 have to stand in the non appoinments line. Also, room 1001 is in first floor. Looks like somethings changed in LA BCIS office.

I think they didn't change anything recently, but the rule was there since then. Those people who managed to get stamping while waiting in appointment line were lucky, I guess.

Because a friend of mine, who went to LA downtown INS office a year ago, had to stand in the big "non-appointement/walk-in" line to get his passport stamped. Recently, We were too waited in the same big line at Santa Ana office (as some one suggested me to goto santa ana office as the line there will be much shorter than downtown office line). We also asked the security guards there and all of them said that we have to wait in that long line (even after seen our approval letters!)

So, you don't have any other way, except waiting in that long line. Probably you may try at Santa Ana by going there before 6.00 AM (as santa ana office opens 7.00 AM where as LA downtown office opens 6.00 AM).

Hope this helps,

Originally posted by sks2003
I think they didn't change anything recently, but the rule was there since then. Those people who managed to get stamping while waiting in appointment line were lucky, I guess.

I don't think so. In 2002 March, one of my colleagues did the opposite. He was standing in big line and he was sent back to short line. As the line was short, he got it stamped on same day. Even when I was standing on short-line, I heard a security guy was saying loudly to the people at other line "all 485, go to other line".

I am pretty sure, they changed the policy. And, yes earlier it was at 2nd floor (room no 2009).

Coolgirl,
The approval letter itself specifies the room number you should go, isn't it? Earlier it used to (atleast mine). If your approval letter does not specify, then they changed the whole format of PP stamping all together.

Last edited by a moderator: