PP stamping experience – INS Denver

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Got my passport stamped and hope to be done with the INS for the next 5 years.

I arrived at the INS-Denver at 6 am and there was already a huge line outside.
They opened the door at 7:30 and I got number 33.

The environment is total chaos. More than half of the people claiming immigration benefits do not even speak English and more than 90% of INS staff ONLY speak English (well, no big surprise on this one).

The efficiency and treatment is the same standard we can expect from any INS service – shitty, big time!
They had only 2 windows working and my number was called at 1pm – yes, I waited for 7 hours!

I had everything at hand so I was done in 5 minutes. I gave to the officer:
- EADs
- APs
- Approval notice
- Passaport with most recent I-94
- 2 pictures (immigration style)

He took my fingerprint right there at the window (right index only) and stamped page 21 of my passport – yes, it looks like the stamp has to be on page 21.
Told me it is taking 10-12 to get the card and asked me to make sure my name is written inside my mailbox – post office will only deliver the card if my name is in the mailbox.

That’s it!

I’m done with the INS! It was a nasty experience until the last minute yesterday!

Hang in there folks! Your day will come!

Suresh

pdwaiter,

I can't tell you for sure, but I think they are since I saw a lot of people being called for "work authorization" renewals...

Bearx, I think Suresh was talking about citizenship.

Get to go home to see if p21 of my passport is still there. Hard to tell these days. :D

Glad your ugly journey has an end. I just called NSC and was asked to wait for another 3 months.

Right. It is shit. Feel like being shitted on every time I check the case status online.

Bearx,

Yes, permanent resident status is actually valid forever (as long as you don't lose it - by being outside the country for over 1 year).
The actual card needs to be replaced after 10 years but after 5 years of being a permanent resident you can apply for citizenship.

GCHopeless,

Hang in there! you're close now!

Suresh,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wasn't aware about the mail box issue till you shared it - I need to make a mental note of that!

Congratulation suresh! I have a imp

question. How long can one wait between approval before getting passport stamping? This is a weird question, but I am trying to find this answer.
Any idea? in your experience have you seen anything on this line written about the time frame?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for sharing ur experience Suresh
Am also in Denver.

My passport is pretty full, just have couple of pages left, not 21.
Kinda concerned about that 'rule'!

gheewalabhai888,

I don't think there's a time limit between approval and passport stamping.
I think you only need hurry about stamping your passport if you intend to travel abroad - I'm traveling overseas in less than a month so that's why I hurried. And also I wanted to be done with the INS as soon as possible.

adjustee,

I think the "page 21" thing is just a tradition that they follow and if page 21 is not available on your passport they would most likely stamp it on any other page.

suresh, thanks for the clarification. I am hoping I can get my GC soon.

ND: 10/5/01
RD: 11/1/01
RFE received by INS 2/5/03.
AD:?

I think I may change job in a month or two after GC approval. How often or serious this will cause problem during renewal?

grd111401,

Online status does not change after passport stamping/card ordered. Basically, once you're apporved you're done with it.

Bearx,

I believe you need to stay with your current employer for at least 6 months after your I-485 is approved.

This is very non-sense since we know that even before getting gc you can change employer (180 days after filing I-485). But that's what immigration attorneys normally recommend.

yeah..they recommend that,but there's no law

against it - the thing is ,that ur employer can revoke ur approval if he has made u sign documents stating that u will be with the employer for a certain period after approval.
i have 2 buddies of mine,one who left on the day he got his approval notice at home,and the other who used AC21..and no problems..so its all upto the individual,and what paperwork you have signed

Cheers
Jack

It depends on the company, if they allow you to leave without creating any problems, it should be fine. Like in my friend's case, they agreed to relieve him as soon as he gets his case approved(as the company for which he was working as a contractor had offered him a job) with a small condition that he works for them atleast 3 to 4 weeks. So after he got approved, he left after nearly 5 weeks.