PP expiring...

Venu123

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

May be these questions have been answered before...

My passport is expiring in March 2005. I hope (BIG hope) to get my 485 approved in next few months.

My questions -

1. After PP expiry, does the Indian Consulate issue a new passport with a different number?

2. How long is the employment based GC issued for? How many years?

2. Will I be able to transfer my GC (after stamping), to the new passport? What is the process involved? Please explain in detail.

Thanks for your time and effort,

Venu.

RE:pP

My passport was expiring in Jan . I took it to Indian Consulate in the moning in NYC and they gave me a new Passport in the evening . It was really easy .
-sai

After your PP renewal all you have to do is to carry both passports while travelling and GC stamp on your old/expired PP is valid for re-entry into US.

venu123

My questions -

1. After PP expiry, does the Indian Consulate issue a new passport with a different number?

You need to apply for PP before the current one expires(Technically, You can also do it after the expiry). You will be issued a new passport mostly with the same number. If the passport is lost they will issue a new number. The lost passport number is not given to ensure that no one else uses your lost passport.

GC will let you stay here indefinitely whether you work or not.

3. Will I be able to transfer my GC (after stamping), to the new passport? What is the process involved? Please explain in detail.

No new stamp is done in the new passport. Once you get the card, there is no value for this stamp. This stamp is only valid for one year and if you don't get the card in one year, then you need to get the stamp once again and theoritically, you need get the stamp(in unexpired PP) every year until you get the card. I haven't heard any case, where the card was not received for that long.

Finally, hope you get the approval soon.

- Bob

thanks bob!

Your replies were prompt and to the point.

What is the expiry date on the GC plastic card (typically for a employment based approval. i had heard before, that it is 10 years or so)

Thanks

Venu.

Re: venu123

Originally posted by bbbishop
My questions -

You need to apply for PP before the current one expires(Technically, You can also do it after the expiry). You will be issued a new passport mostly with the same number. If the passport is lost they will issue a new number. The lost passport number is not given to ensure that no one else uses your lost passport.

Passport will have a new number. Indian Consulate will not issue another passport with the same number.

GC will let you stay here indefinitely whether you work or not.

3. Will I be able to transfer my GC (after stamping), to the new passport? What is the process involved? Please explain in detail.

No new stamp is done in the new passport. Once you get the card, there is no value for this stamp. This stamp is only valid for one year and if you don't get the card in one year, then you need to get the stamp once again and theoritically, you need get the stamp(in unexpired PP) every year until you get the card. I haven't heard any case, where the card was not received for that long.

Finally, hope you get the approval soon.

- Bob

GC Card

The GC card issued has a validity of 10 years. After that, still you are not a citizen, then apply for the renewal.

Bob

Paspport numbers are never same but yes you have to carry the old one if it is carring vaild visa. This is true for indian passport as I already have two togather and soon will go for third one.
GC is for permananet residence , unless u get deported or opt for citizenship after 5 yrs.
your I551 on old passport will act as your visa stamp so you have to carry that passport with new one.