Potential problem for Naturalization?

local_buckling

Registered Users (C)
Here it goes..
Been married for 29 months. AOS interview was done in July-07 and I just received the permanent Green card. After we were done with the AOS interview, we have intiated the divorce but it has not been finalized yet.

Do you think that this may cause potential problem when I go for naturalization? When we appeared for the AOS interview, the divorce has not been filed.

Thanks

How soon after the interview you initiated the divorce? by Today's date it looks like less than 1 month.

Did you plan on getting a divorce anyways, but your spouse stuck with you JUST for the AOS interview? If so, I think that would appear as fraud. Others may think different.

Regardless of what I think, you won't be able to apply for citizenship until 4 years and 9 months of your residency have passed. It may or may not be a problem then.

Well you definitely will have to list the date of divorce on your N-400, so its fair to say that may open the door for some unwelcome questioning during the interview. Not much you can do about it really, except perhaps not getting divorced for a while longer.

If I was the Officer I would say... how exactly did you file for a divorce 2 weeks before the AOS interview? or something... I mean did you start the divorce before the date on you became permanent resident?

People who want a divorce, will go through it for a few months... and you just miraculously filing, in less than 1 month... is just plain fishy and will bring questioning.

Get proof that your relationship was on the rocks, and I mean EVERITHING, emails, letters, bills etc. You also should get a lawyer.
You will need it if you ever are going to apply for citizenship

The divorce procedures were initiated before I became permanent GC...It's not yet finalized....We were married for more than two years and marriage was not entered into just to take the Green card...I also have AOS pending through EB2 category in Employment category when we filed through the spouse and I can say that spouse is not the only source for me to get green card..

We went to AOS inteview cause during that time we thought that we could make this marriage work but after that we reliazed that we were making wrong promises to each other and decieded to go on our seperate ways....

Seriously, I think that it was my big mistake to file GC through my spose since I already have employment AOS pending.....

If I was the Officer I would say... how exactly did you file for a divorce 2 weeks before the AOS interview? or something... I mean did you start the divorce before the date on you became permanent resident?

People who want a divorce, will go through it for a few months... and you just miraculously filing, in less than 1 month... is just plain fishy and will bring questioning.